[News] Boxee Home Theatre on GNU/Linux Compared to Alternatives

Boxee aims to shake up the home theater

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on what it does now, Boxee has high potential. The media center that I
| spend the most time with is MythTV, which by comparison is a royal pain for
| all media types other than recorded television. Boxee would benefit from the
| addition of a search function, but already its local content browser and
| media player are stable and easy to use. Accessing Internet content directly
| from the media center is far better than dropping out just to use a
| specialized app like Miro.
|
| Ronen describes the goal of Boxee as providing the "truly connected
| experience," noting "it just doesn't make sense that your media center
| experience is going to be disconnected from the rest of your online social
| activities." On that point, he is entirely right -- media center software
| sorely needs to be taken out of appliance mode and made as interactive as
| every other activity on the Internet. Keep an eye on Boxee; as the code
| matures, it may just change what you expect out of media centers, and you may
| want drag a PC up to the television to give it a shot.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147175

Recent:

Weekend Project: Boxee, Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Boxee is a great product. I have tried MythTV and some other media
| center products and I think Boxee has a good concept on their hands. It
| handles your collections of media very well and offers the possibility to
| share your activity with friends. Boxee may be the media center answer to
| Twitter.
|
| I intend to follow the Boxee team’s work and I look forward to the next
| release.
`----

http://jt.west-age.com/2008/09/weekend-project-boxee-part-2/

Boxee: linux version is available