[News] The End of GNU/Linux Reboots

The end of physical reboots with Linux.

,----[ Quote ]
| I was having an interesting conversation with my BSD buddies on whether
| Ubuntu is suitable/not for servers and I did my usual bragging about the
| servers not needing to be rebooted.
|
| [...]
|
| It is called kexec and it is a method of changing Linux kernels without
| having to physically reboot the computer. In other words changing a Linux
| kernel is just about as easy as stopping and starting a normal service. There
| is one caveat. This only works on x86 platforms.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/the-end-of-physical-reboots-with-linux-27137

Recent:

XP Update Ushers In Fresh Round of Bugaboos

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly following Microsoft's release of the third service pack for its
| Windows XP operating system, reports of problems regarding the SP's
| installation began appearing on blogs and the Windows XP Newsgroup. XP users
| have experienced an assortment of issues both with the installation itself
| and after the installation, ranging from failed and frozen installations to
| failure of external disks, wireless networking problems and repeated reboots
| following the update. Microsoft is aware of the issues and is investigating
| them further, it said.

XP SP3 crashes AMD machines

,----[ Quote ]
| One user reported, "I just installed Windows XP SP3 and after completing the
| processes and when the system reboots, the system cannot proceed to load the
| Windows. It just displays the flash screen of Windows then after it reboots
| again."
|
| Angry users have also reported that, after the installation, it is not even
| possible to boot in safe mode, usually the last resort before setting up a
| repeated forehead/screen interface.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/09/xp-sp3-crashes-amd-machines

Windows XP SP3 Sows Havoc, Users Complain

,----[ Quote ]
| Within hours of its release, Microsoft's Service Pack 3 for Windows XP began
| drawing hundreds of complaints from users who claim the update is wreaking
| havoc on their PCs.
|
| The problems with XP SP3, according to posters on Microsoft's Windows XP
| message board, range from spontaneous reboots to outright system crashes
`----.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207600950

Vista Blues Weakens Microsoft's Influence On Software Market

,----[ Quote ]
| That was evident in how Microsoft's client division third-quarter sales,
| which includes the XP and Vista operating system, fell 24% compared with the
| year earlier period. Although the decline was expected because of a one-off
| revenue gain of around $1.6 billion in the year-earlier quarter, client
| revenues were lower than analysts expected.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200805071423DOWJONESDJONLINE000951_FORTUNE5.htm

Windows XP SP3: Beware the service pack!

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing that happened after installing Vista SP1 is that it broke my
| HP printer driver. That wasn't too bad, I fixed that quite easily by
| uninstalling the driver and doing a clean reinstallation. However, the fact
| that a service pack upgrade caused an instability in a previously working
| standard software installation is a concern.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18109/1023/

Windows XP SP3 still officially AWOL, but can be found on BitTorrent, Microsoft
servers

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, in a low-key announcement on a support newsgroup, Microsoft said
|                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| it would delay the release of XP SP3 because of data corruption issues
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| between the updated operating system and its retail point-of-sale software.
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=intellectual_property_and_drm&articleId=9082098&taxonomyId=144&intsrc=kc_top

XP change corrupts data, hamstrings SP3 rollout

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft spokeswoman on Wednesday acknowledged that the same problems
| affected Dynamics RMS users running XP SP3.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=operating_systems&articleId=9081438&taxonomyId=89&intsrc=kc_top

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263