[News] Google's GNU/Linux Phones Coming Very Shortly

T-Mobile May Begin Selling Google Android Phone Within Weeks

,----[ Quote ]
| Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile USA unit will start selling a mobile phone that
| uses Google's Android software within weeks, said two people with firsthand
| knowledge of the plan.
|
| [...]
|
| Android, based on the Linux operating system, is free code that allows
| programmers to develop applications for mobile devices.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10439558?source=rss

Recent:

Android Challenge winners push location awareness

,----[ Quote ]
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) have announced the final winners
| for part one of the Android Developer Challenge. The OHA granted ten $275,000
| awards and ten $100,000 awards for the best applications created for the
| Linux- and Java-based Android mobile phone platform.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5624605378.html?kc=rss

Google announces Android Market and Android Challenge winners

,----[ Quote ]
| Later the same day, Chu announced the winners in the Android Developers
| Challenge. Out of 50 teams of finalists, ten were chosen to receive $275,000
| awards and another ten, $100,000 awards.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/115236

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

T-Mobile to Offer First Phone With Google Software

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/technology/15google.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

NYT: Google's Android coming soon on HTC handset

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times echoed a report earlier in the week from TmoNews in
| suggesting that the first phone to run the Android software will be announced
| by handset maker HTC on T-Mobile's network next month and could begin
| shipping in October. It's long been expected that T-Mobile and HTC would be
| among the first Android partners to actually ship a product, but the timing
| had been unclear.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10018149-94.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
http://tinyurl.com/5w8bjb

Google Android just four weeks away?

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in June, some unnamed sources told The Wall Street Journal that Google's
| currently closed open mobile platform could be delayed until 2009. But this
| week, another unnamed source told TmoNews - a T-Mobile obsessed blog - that
| the American wireless carrier will offer up the first Android phone for
| pre-sale on 17 September.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/13/google_android_launch_rumor/

Related:

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/iphone-vs-android-an-open-sour.html

Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
|
| [...]
|
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/is-google-android-the-next-windows/

HTC tight-lipped about Google phone

,----[ Quote ]
| MOBILE PHONE MAKER High Tech Computer (HTC) is developing a handset which
| will run Android software developed by Google and a consortium of other tech
| companies.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/20/paranoid-andriod

A third of all phones "smart" in five years

| ABI Research vice president Stuart Carlaw said, "The market is currently
| dominated by Nokia (52 percent) and Symbian (65 percent). However, the
| coalescence of the framework wars in the Linux environment and the growing
| stature of Windows Mobile will enable new competitors to put pressure on this
| established axis."

Research and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
Japanese Smartphone Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080102005331&newsLang=en