Re: [News] Multi-head Displays with GNU/Linux (Try *That* with Win32/OS X)

Linonut wrote:
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

On 2008-09-11, Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Tom Shelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

I was sort of wondering that myself.  I've been running muli-head for quite a
while on windows, yet I've never gotten a statisfactory result on Linux.
Bullshit.  Unless you're talking about a quibble like some apps
(OpenOffice) putting their splash screen across two monitors.
I don't care about that - that happens with windows sometimes. All I ever get are, either mirrored desktops (usless) or one continues desktop - where when you maximize an app it goes accross both monitors. I have never gottne it to act as if they are truely separate displays. And after 3 or 4 hours of trying I gave up. It takes about 5 minutes or less to
setup dual monitors in windows.

Odd.  I found it easy to get two separate X displays; but I prefer one
big-ass screen.

And on that one screen, apps maximize properly -- just fill the monitor
it is sitting in.

Maybe you should go back to a better window manager:  fluxbox <grin>.

<snip>

4 monitors here, all independent, no problems. I get a mirrored screen during boot (from bios up to but not including login) and during shutdown. I don't use xinerama or twinview but plan on experimenting.

There is one minor pain in the ass, though.  If I want to take my laptop into
a conference room and use the overhead project in dual-screen mode, I have
to copy over a tweaked xorg.conf for the low-res projector and then cycle through the various screen modes using the blue keys on the laptop.

I hate the nvidia X configurator, by the way.  It junks up the settings
for dual monitors.

...never had it mess anything up, in fact it helped by inserting the proper modelines for my monitors.

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062