[News] Microsoft and Microsoft Puppet (Novell) Exclude GNU/Linux

Suse Linux virtualized on Windows--why?

,----[ Quote ]
| As Suse Linux fades further from any relevance outside of Microsoft, and Red
| Hat and Sun make huge strides in virtualization, Novell plans to offer
| support for Suse running on Windows. Is there meaning here or is Novell just
| becoming more of a Microsoft puppet?
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10039172-62.html

Recent:

The Waltham Pact: Where are the tangibles?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well there’s… Mono? Sure, Novell has access to Microsoft’s developers and
| documentation for re-implementing .NET on Linux, but Microsoft has hardly
| made a college try to help Novell actually FINISH Mono or commit programmers
| to the effort.  Hell, if Microsoft took one million dollars of that hundred
| million, and earmarked a few of its .NET developers as consulting staff to
| Novell for 3 years, you can bet they would get to parity with the one on
| Windows, at least so it isn’t always broken with the latest implementation of
| whatever API. Now, I’m not blaming Microsoft for not being open with Novell —
| it’s not their implicit responsibility to build Open Source projects — Mono
| is a Novell sponsored, community effort. But if Microsoft really wants to
| see .NET running on literally every OS, then Mono is going to need more than
| just “here’s our docs and call our guys and come on campus whenever you want
| when you need help, Miguel. Oh and by the way, have some free Diet Cokes and
| go use our Starbucks in the lounge.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9228

Related:

Novell congratulates itself for snogging Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell wants you to know that selling its soul to Steve Ballmer was a really
| good idea.
|
| On the last day of 2007, two separate Novell execs tossed up blog posts
| congratulating themselves for agreeing to that "interoperability partnership"
| with Microsoft, a year-old deal intent on forcing an unholy relationship
| between Linux and Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/03/linux_pats_self_on_back/

Why is there no Open Source SLES ?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of them is that the SLES community is much smaller and more aimed at
| proprietary software. Novell itself is promoting Mixed Source and promotes
| its own proprietary software on top of SLES (also see OES). This obviously
| scares part of the community away. The deal with Microsoft obviously does as
| well. As a result Novell is big within Enterprises with little community
| people, and these are not the kind of people that would spend their free time
| rebuilding packages and do QA.
|
| Another reason is that Novell is not in favor of such a project (even though
| people from within Novell and people in the SLES community disagree with
| management) because it fears it will take away some of the profit and Novell
| made a big risk by taking the Linux route, they cannot afford to make it
| fail.
`----

http://dag.wieers.com/blog/content/why-is-there-no-open-source-sles

Is it Microsoft + Novell or Microsoft vs. Novell?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, this is very surprising. I've started to notice a trend in all the
| announcements the two companies have made over the past year: Novell stresses
| interoperability while Microsoft beats its drum on patent protection.
|
| [...]
|
| I wonder how long Microsoft will continue its efforts to try to cast the deal
| as about IP. It's not for Novell, it seems to me now. Microsoft did the deal
| to hurt Linux - there's no other explanation for it. It has no fiduciary duty
| to enable a competitor (unless its a weaker competitor against the Linux
| market leader, Red Hat). It has a fiduciary duty to kill that competitor.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9813681-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]