[News] Software Patents Questioned in the United States

Leveraging Through Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1995, the U.S.P.T.O. decided it was time to develop guidelines for patent
| examiners that reflect these recent court decisions. After releasing draft
| versions of the guidelines for comment, the U.S.P.T.O. adopted guidelines for
| U.S.P.T.O. examiners to determine when a  software related invention is
| statutory and therefore patentable.
`----

http://guide-of-patent-protection.legal-questions.org/2008/08/31/leveraging-through-software-patents/

Writing Software Patent Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Collecting the information necessary to prepare a patent application covering
| a computer related invention can be quite challenging.  Typically, most
| computer related inventions today relate at least in some way to software,
| which is at the core of the challenge.  This software challenge stems from
| the fact that the software code is not protected by patent law, but rather
| how the software operates is protected.  This means that the description
| needs to be one that can be replicated by others regardless of how they
| choose to write code to accomplish the necessary tasks.
|
| A patent does not need to be a blueprint, but it needs to direct.  For
| example, you do not need to provide the code for the scripts, although that
| is certainly one way to make sure it is described adequately.
`----

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2008/08/31/writing-software-patent-applications/

Software patents in the Review of the National Innovation System

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm currently preparing a paper on the Open Source software developer's
| perspective on software patents (with a friend of mine, Owen Jones, who has
| the real expertise in patents), and so naturally I was interested in what the
| expert panel had to say about software patents.
`----

http://www.cyberlawcentre.org/unlocking-ip/blog/2008/09/software-patents-in-review-of-national.html

Related:

Intellectual Property Regime Stifles Science and Innovation, Nobel Laureates
Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent monopolies are believed to drive innovation but they actually impede
| the pace of science and innovation, Stiglitz said. The current “patent
| thicket,” in which anyone who writes a successful software programme is sued
| for alleged patent infringement, highlights the current IP system’s failure
| to encourage innovation, he said.
|
| Another problem is that the social returns from innovation do not accord with
| the private returns associated with the patent system, Stiglitz said. The
| marginal benefit from innovation is that an idea may become available sooner
| than it might have. But the person who secures the patent on it wins a
| long-term monopoly, creating a gap between private and social returns.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1129

Is Stiglitz the official economist of open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is he the official economist of open source? Because his main point
| supports the open source thesis, which is that breaking monopolies on
| information is essential for free trade and economic growth.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2348

Critic of Software Patents Wins Nobel Prize in Economics

.----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotYourRightsOnline/~3/170631743/article.pl