Re: Linux took 7 hours to install, and everything just works!

On 2008-09-11, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> Of course most Windows owners never install it, it comes with the
> machine they buy.  But, as you say, with almost no useful apps.   But
> if Windows is factory installed, you can bet it will come with
> mountains of bloatware---trial subscriptions etc that the manufacturer
> has loaded on because they get paid to do so.  I understand people are
> now paying various services to remove this junk from their fresh
> Windows machines.

So, buyers overpay for crapware, but it gets disguised by including it
in the purchase price of the machine. Then they overpay some more to
get the garbage removed that helps to disguise the true cost of the
crapware because the OEM is subsidized by the people who want that
worthless trialware crap on the machine. Later they pay some sweaty
"technician" to clean out the inevitable garbage that builds up after
using the machine for a few months, allowing the "technician" access to
accounts, porn pictures, usernames, financial information and all the
rest.

This is somehow viewed as normal by a large number of people? Are
people so bad at basic math any more that they can't add up the costs
to see how much crappy Windwoes really costs? Are people so very numbed
by all of the intrusiveness of criminal monopolies and privacy thieves
that they can't see what they're giving up?

--
Windows: So easy to admin, even a worm can do it.