[News] New Law in New Zealand Better Protects Developers

Copyright Act change shifts software rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Change to copyright law will see software developers owning their software by
| default
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/85C5E5DB6BD35585CC2574CF0017C13F

The case for licensed open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| We have all established the benefits of OSS, but we need to examine the legal
| guidelines associated with the use of OSS - especially for companies
| operating in this, the most transparent age - the twenty first century. LOS
| essentially means a company will benefit from a clear commercial licence,
| which provides legal protections that are not available under the General
| Public License (GPL).
|
| It’s obvious that every business is diverse and has varied operational
| requirements. For any successful technology implementation, a company (and
| its selected technology partner) must understand these needs explicitly and
| co-ordinate technology solutions to meet these requirements – effectively.
| When examining OSS vs LOS and which would be more relevant to a business, the
| appropriate steps should be taken to understand the benefits and features of
| each and then decide if the premium charged for the licensed version will
| provide better value in return.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3172

Recent:

Free Software leader slams NZ copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| “New Zealand’s law does not go as far as the DMCA in the US, but it is unjust
| nonetheless,” he says.
|
| “DRM is nearly always the result of a conspiracy of companies to restrict the
| technology available to the public. Such conspiracy should be a crime, and
| the executives responsible for it should be sentenced to prison.”
|
| Stallman’s other mission here is to promote the Free Software Movement. The
| creator of the GPL licence, under which most free software is distributed, is
| at pains to correct misunderstandings of what the term “free software” means
| and to draw a distinction between it and the open source movement.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0064FE274A08BA2CCC25749A00383CB3

Copyright Depth Perception

,----[ Quote ]