[News] GNU/Linux Running on the PS3, iPod, and the Nintendo DS

The PC in a Console: Linux on the Sony PS3

,----[ Quote ]
| Since we recommend Yellow Dog Linux for its ease of install, we recommend
| downloading just the bootloader and PS3 installer, and then having the YDL
| DVD ready for the distro install.

The World of Pod Modding

,----[ Quote ]
| Early iPod enthusiasts even installed Linux on their iPods, but most simply
| used programs like the open source MP3 firmware Rockbox to customize the
| interfaces and extend the functionality to support other applications like
| Last.fm, music codecs and games.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/mobile-tech/64632.html

Gadgets only a modder could love

,----[ Quote ]
| A topic widely discussed is porting the Linux operating system over to the
| DS. Indeed, there's even a site devoted to the project called DS Linux. In
| it, members and developers go through forums to brainstorm ideas on how to
| improve the platform and make the unlikely DS/Linux marriage work as
| flawlessly as possible.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080925.kritsonis0924/BNStory/Technology/home

Related:

Wii-Linux + T2 SDE Linux 6.0 + X Server Running XD

,----[ Quote ]
| This video is from nuvalo who writes: "This is the latest kernel from
| Wii-Linux, which supports USB, Bluetooth, etc. This video shows how it boots
| T2 SDE for PowerPC, with its X server and the login. The colors are messed up
| as the X server writes its colors in RGB format, and the Wii frame buffer
| only supports yuv2. Anyway, it is possible to run an X server without too
| much effort."
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/wii-linux-t2-sde-linux-60-x-server-running-xd
http://tinyurl.com/6egey3

Twilight Hack returns to knock out Wii Menu 3.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the HackMii folks are back with Twilight Hack v0.1beta1, which bests Wii
| Menu 3.3, along with some other improvements for homebrew usage. We can't
| tell if this is incompetence or benevolence on Nintendo's part, or perhaps
| these hackers are just that good, but either way we're lovin' it JT-style.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/21/twilight-hack-returns-to-knock-out-wii-menu-3-3/

Toshiba Unveils Laptop With Cell-Derived Chip

,----[ Quote ]
| The first laptops to make use of the SpursEngine, a multimedia co-processor
| derived from the Cell chip that powers the PlayStation 3, will go on sale in
| Japan in July.
|
| [...]
|
| The operating system will run on an Intel Core 2 Duo chip and the SpursEngine
| will be called on to handle processor-intensive tasks, such as processing of
| high-definition video. This arrangement means the laptop should be capable of
| some tricks that haven't been seen on machines until now.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147415/toshiba_unveils_laptop_with_cellderived_chip.html

Linux on a Wii

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I played around a bit with the stuff done by the Wii homebrew/hacking
| community, which is far more advanced than I had expected.
`----

http://www.hboeck.de/archives/634-Linux-on-a-Wii.html

Want to Run Linux on Your Nintendo Wii?

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll need a GameCube SD card adapter, a 1GB (or higher) SD card, a copy of
| Zelda (for the Wii), and of course, a Nintendo Wii itself. Next, you'll need
| to make sure your version of Zelda is one of the anointed -- apparently not
| all copies of Zelda are created equal. Finally, you'll have to do a bunch of
| extracting, copying, renaming, deleting, saving, etc., load the game, load a
| hacked save file and actually talk to a guy in-game to trigger the loader,
| which drops you out to a black and white screen, at which point you get to
| have fun figuring out how to load Linux itself.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006554.html

Wii Been Hacked! Runs Cutest Linux Ever!

,----[ Quote ]
| We all knew it was just a matter of time, but now we have video evidence. The
| Wii has been totally haxored! That's right, just check out the video below
| and take a look at what these guys have accomplished. In all honestly, about
| half of what they say is Greek to me, but I'm impressed with the final result
| nonetheless.
`----

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/681818/Wii_Been_Hacked_Runs_Cutest_Linux_Ever.html

Nintendo Wii fully hacked for native homebrew

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wii was compromised pretty early on to be able to play burned discs and
| GameCube homebrew such as Linux, but until now Nintendo has managed to
| isolate Wii hardware such as the extra horsepower of the console and wireless
| connectivity from hackers. But the walls are coming down. Some hackers from
| Germany have just showed off their fully hacked Wii at the 24th Annual Chaos
| Communication Congress.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/28/nintendo-fully-hacked-for-native-homebrew/

Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found

,----[ Quote ]
| A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number of
| hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for this along
| with a relevant Xorg driver.
`----

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190

How to: install Linux on your Nintendo DS

,----[ Quote ]
| Gareth Latty, based on the UK, is a key member of the DS Linux team that is
| working on a reliable Linux distro for the DS. You can find out more about
| the project at dslinux.org.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/how-to-put-linux-on-your-nintendo-ds-409958
http://tinyurl.com/6gsbvx

How to: install Linux on your PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is becoming much more pervasive: it's powering far more laptops and
| desktops than ever before, delivering music and movies to the living room on
| digital media adapters, and becoming ubiquitous as a development platform at
| high-end video effects studios such as Industrial Light & Magic, which used
| to rely on Windows and Mac.
|
| Yet, many gadgets do not run Linux and rely on a proprietary OS instead. For
| the industrious Linux user, there is no mountain that cannot be climbed and
| conquered. You can install Linux on just about anything that has a processor,
| a monitor, and some spare storage.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/how-to-install-linux-on-your-playstation-3-409390

Open source software on the Nintendo DS (Lite)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118061