[News] "The Future Belongs to Linux"

The future belongs to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What caught my interest was the assertion by Zemlin that vendors such as Sun
| have their strength in ERP applications that are nearing the end of
| their "seven to 20-year life cycle." Increasingly, these customers are
| switching over to Linux as they reevaluate their next cycle of investments.
`----

http://www.fiercecio.com/story/future-belongs-linux/2008-09-26

Top 5 Linux references in pop-culture

,----[ Quote ]
| That ubiquitous Linux! It's on your computer, your mobile phone, your
| handheld GPS. What's more, it's also in movies, cartoons, comics and books
| around you too! Here are my top 5 Linux references as found in popular
| culture.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20863/1141/

Recent:

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| It's true: Microsoft has confirmed that it's abandoning Windows as we know
| it. Cagey as ever, the Microsofties won't say when it'll happen, but they
| have talked a little bit about what the next OS is going to look like--or not
| look like.
|
| [...]
|
| Midori for Linux?
|
| One of my smarter-than-me buddies, Gary F., told me that Linus Torvalds
| worked on something called Midori a few years ago, an embedded Linux for
| mobile devices: "I doubt Microsoft would ever release something that could be
| traced back to Linux, but if I recall correctly, Transmeta's Midori had some
| rudimentary 'cloud computing' features vaguely similar to Microsoft's
| Midori." Read "Details emerge on Transmeta's "Mobile Linux" and "Transmeta
| Exports Midori Linux to China" for details.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/149709/microsoft_is_giving_up_on_windows.html

Microsoft to kill Windows with 'web-centric' Midori?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft continues to downplay the importance of Midori by saying it is just
| a research project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/30/microsoft_midori_technical_details/

Microsoft loses 90 Billion Dollars