[News] Microsoft Admits Windows is Behind GNU/Linux in Real Market Share

| work to do."
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151568/ballmer_still_searching_for_an_answer_to_google.html

Maybe they should 'bribe' Galli and Gillen some more to give people the
impression that "Linux is Losing to windows" (eWeek lies, counting preinstalls
and revenue only). Peter Galli was more recently hired by Microsoft having
spread such lies and Gillen is hired by Microsoft to do the old IDC routine
where they count the wrong thing and also hide sponsorships or 'massage' the
results.

IDC puppets: Linux=13%

Ballmer: Linux=60%

“Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
prickly to work with.”

                                –Microsoft, internal document

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

Related:

The Power of Perception

,----[ Quote ]
| A campaign featuring Jerry Seinfeld may well succeed in changing this and
| convincing consumers to run Vista. But will it change the perceptions of IT
| professionals in large organizations? I wouldn't bet against it. We all like
| to think we are rational agents, but in reality we are all still susceptible
| to advertising — even Microsoft's.
|
| Let's take a look at the Linux market. Linux has many things going for it,
| yet it makes up just 13.4 percent of total server revenue. (Don't forget,
| many servers run Linux but don't generate revenue for vendors.)
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3769301

Is Linux really losing market share to Windows? [Gillen lies]

,----[ Quote ]
| Should we be ready, as Kent Brockman might put it, to "welcome our new
| Microsoft overlords," or are the IDC Quarterly Server Tracker figures not
| really reflecting the reality of how servers are used in businesses? I, for
| one, think that what IDC is measuring and what server operating systems
| people are really using are two entirely different things.

Windows Server 2008 catching up with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Server 2008  will never be Linux. And it's not likely to woo Linux
| users away from open source anytime soon.
|
| [...]
|
| "There's an anti-Microsoft bias in Unixland," Gillen said. "The more
|             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Microsoft continues to erase objections [with features like PowerShell and
| Server Core], the harder it is to make the argument that Windows doesn't meet
| their needs."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1302564,00.html

Microsoft's Sponsored OOXML Study

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Microsoft made available an IDC study about so-called open desktop
| file formats. It's yet another Microsoft propaganda effort, as a crucial
| format standards vote approaches.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsofts_sponsored_ooxml_study.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2tx9eo

IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy [in Microsoft-commissioned
study]

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent IDC white paper on the economic impact of Microsoft's super
| soaraway new Vista operating system seems to be lacking one crucial
| ingredient -- other operating systems.

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
| Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
| IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
| nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
| keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

Has IDC got the wrong number for iPhone?

,----[ Quote ]
| IDC has poured cold water on Apple's iPhone just days after a previous survey
| led M:Metrics to talk up the new entry to the cellphone stakes. But are the
| new numbers sound?
|
| [...]
|
| The most obvious difference is in the sample size. M:Metrics had
| 11,060 respondents, IDC just 456. The sample space was also different,
| with M:Metrics apparently sampling from mobile phone subscribers, while
| IDC looked at online mobile phone shoppers.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13036&Itemid=1054

IDC Study:

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

Vista filip for US states, claims IDC

,----[ Quote ]
| While reviewers debate the merits of Windows Vista and analysts puzzle the
| over the pace of adoption, IDC and Microsoft are in little doubt over its
| impact for the economies of America's 50 states.
|
| To date, IDC has estimated Windows Vista will create 37,000 new jobs and
| generate $15.5bn in related products and services across just four US
| states.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/microsoft_windows_vista_idc/

IDC report on Open Document Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| This study is a fact-based analysis of the emerging open document
| standards, Open XML and ODF.
`----

http://openxmldeveloper.org/archive/2006/11/27/IDC_Open_Document_Standards.aspx

Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study

,----[ Quote ]
| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
| first year of shipment.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

Shill season

,----[ Quote ]
| It's often difficult to figure out the motivation behind a particular
| study - until one finds out who has commissioned and paid for it.
| The so-called tech consulting companies would love it if the consumer
| believes that they have conducted an "independent" study. The worrying
| thing is that not many people blow their cover.

Microsoft Press Releases: Read Between the Lines

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061211/22190_id.html?.v=1

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

A Good Foundation to Build On

,----[ Quote ]
| First, we have this Linux Foundation-sponsored white paper from IDC,
| entitled “The Role of Linux Servers and Commercial Workloads”.
|
| [...]
|
| The importance of this report is not so much what it says – since most of its
| predictions are necessarily plucked out of the air – but that it exists. As
| you may recall, in the past IDC has been best-known – and much-reviled - for
| its Microsoft-sponsored reports that strangely find that Microsoft systems
| are better than GNU/Linux. Now we have the same company saying GNU/Linux is
| pretty wonderful, too.
|
| What does that prove? Certainly nothing about Windows or GNU/Linux, and not
| much about IDC other than the fact that anybody can sponsor its research. But
| it does show, once again, that the Linux Foundation is getting pro-active,
| and fighting fire with fire. The IDC report in itself may be of limited
| value, but it's the kind of propaganda that needs to be put out in the market
| if only to nullify the propaganda from the other side.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=691

IDC joins the BSA thugs for Microsoft-serving 'studies':

BSA: Software piracy's 'tragic' impact on US society

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA-sponsored IDC study, available here (pdf), pinpointed eight US states
| in the report. It found significant variations from the national piracy
| figure of 20 per cent.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/18/bsa_us_states_piracy/

Microsoft urges resellers to play it straight, beef up revs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has claimed that each dollar it “loses” to software piracy equals
| $5.50 in “lost opportunities” to the firm’s channel partners.
|
| A Microsoft-sponsored white paper (pdf) released by IT analyst house IDC
| yesterday highlights the effects of copyright infringement on the software
| ecosystem across the tech industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The BSA has claimed that the value of just PC software that was counterfeited
| in 2007 was close to $50bn worldwide.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/07/10/microsoft_idc_piracy_claims/

MS struggles to discredit Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What's cheaper than an OS you can buy outright once and install on every PC
| in your shop -- and upgrade cost-free for eternity to boot? Why, a slew of
| cheesy licenses for Microsoft Windows, 'Doze Division VP Brian Valentine
| claims in his latest cheerleading effort for his sales associates.
|
| That's right; a putatively independent analysis by 'we'll-conclude-anything'
| whores DH Brown is going to rip Linux a new one and find that Windows is
| actually cheaper. How Valentine knows this is anyone's guess. Perhaps he has
| a mole in the Brown organization as good as the one we have in his. Or
| perhaps MS simply paid for it. We don't know.
|
| It also appears that MS has bought off a number of Linux/Sun 'insiders' whose
| job it will be to explain to the sales team how to pitch the illusory
| advantages of Windows to unsuspecting IT managers. "Dumber people can run
| Windows" is the best advert I personally can come up with, though this is
| without the benefit of expensive analysts and turncoat 'insiders' to feed me
| intriguing tidbits.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/02/ms_struggles_to_discredit_linux/

IDC: Windows cheaper than Linux