Re: [News] World Day Against Software Patents Ends; Oracle a Patent Slammer

Verily I say unto thee, that Gregory Shearman spake thusly:
> On 2008-09-25, Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In article <1398079.QovUVZI7x5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> They are already in OIN, so it's unlikely that they'll ever use
>>> patents against something like MySQL. Microsoft, on the other
>>> hand, they can attack with their patents shall Microsoft not
>>> attack by proxy (Intellectual Vultures or Acacia-soft).
>>
>> So how come you can't point to a single instance of Microsoft
>> attacking anyone with a software patent?  (I mean a real,
>> documented, instance. Not one based on your thoroughly discredited
>> theory that Acacia works for Microsoft).

Considering the ex-Microsoft senior management at Acacia, I'd say it's
more than just "theory". The Acacia suit against the Vole was little
more than a smokescreen.

> Ballmer has threatened Linux users with patents:
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsid=7376

They also funded SCO's attack on Linux, but that was copyrights not patents.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html

> Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has sparked controversy by declaring that
>  Linux infringes on Microsoft's intellectual property.
>
> Answering questions after a speech at a conference in Seattle,
> Ballmer said Microsoft had been motivated to sign a deal with SuSE
> Linux distributor Novell earlier this month because Linux "uses our
> intellectual property" and Microsoft wanted to "get the appropriate
> economic return for our shareholders from our innovation."

> Now doesn't that sound like the mafia boss embarking on extortion?

Yes.

But Smith is right, the Vole doesn't litigate for patent infringements.
They get much more mileage out of FUD, and their Shills (and Shells) do
the grunt work.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 23:34:42 up 41 days, 20:47,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04