Re: [News] Microsoft is Being Pressured Out of EU (Free Software Policies)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

European Public Sector Open-source Guidelines Spark Debate

,----[ Quote ]
| Should European governments favor open-source software when they hold tenders | for public contracts? Economists and policy makers appear to think so but | industry giants including Microsoft argue that this would be discriminatory | and are considering legal action to prevent this from happening. `----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151519/european_public_sector_opensource_guidelines_spark_debate.html

I agree with microsoft on this one. They shouldn't favour or exclude *anyone*. Precisely why we desperately need one standard file interchange specification that isn't patented in any way to level the playing field. Then the solution offering the best long term value for money for the taxpayer (who is footing the bill after all) should win out.