[News] [Rival] Antitrust Judge: Microsoft Still Abusing

Microsoft threatened on antitrust non-compliance

,----[ Quote ]
| As surely as night follows day, so Microsoft is regularly upbraided for not
| complying with the US government's landmark 2002 settlement for breach of
| antitrust laws.
|
| Now, six years into a seven-year settlement monitoring process, presiding
| settlement judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly has told Microsoft's she doesn't
| think it's going far or fast enough in meeting the terms of the deal.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/25/mcirosoft_antitrust/

Judge: Microsoft documentation unfit for US consumption

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may have made a big push to settle many of the antitrust actions
| facing it around the globe, but those efforts have run up against a major
| stumbling block: the company's inability to document the protocols need to
| interoperate with its own software. Documentation problems got Microsoft in
| hot water with the EU, and they're now the only reason it continues to be
| under court supervision in the aftermath of its antitrust settlement. But,
| despite having interoperability become a corporate strategy, its
| documentation efforts came under fire in a court hearing earlier today.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080925-judge-microsoft-documentation-unfit-for-us-consumption.html

U.S. judge tells Microsoft: Get on the stick!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) came under
| sharp criticism from a U.S. judge on Thursday for being slow to produce
| technical documents it is required to give software makers as part of a 2002
| antitrust settlement.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2538179220080925

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107/martin-bryan:we-are-getting-standardization-by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2007/12/dysfunctional-iso-courtesy-of-microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

EU Says Governments Could Bar Microsoft From Bidding

,----[ Quote ]
| Governments contracting IT work could conclude that Microsoft's antitrust
| history constitutes "grave professional misconduct" and ban the company,
| according to the European Commission.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147175/eu_says_governments_could_bar_microsoft_from_bidding.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group.
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process.
|
| [...]
|
| “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg.
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/ooxml_ec_investigation_iso/

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
| I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
| happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
| Quinn was by no means unique.

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html