[News] Free Software's Role in an Age of Web Applications

On-line applications "just work"; why worry about the freedom of the licence?

,----[ Quote ]
| So here’s the thing: I predict a greater shift to online applications by more
| people. No surprise there; but I also predict we’ll be accessing these
| applications via a wider range of devices. Again nothing new there, but I
| wanted to say it. Finally I predict that more of these will be using free
| software. The days of proprietary software houses were numbered when GNU
| started to gain traction. GNU/Linux, Apache, Firefox, OpenOffice.org have all
| showed what can be done with free software. Google has added weight to this
| with Android and Chrome. On-line application providers operate under much
| tighter margins than traditional software providers. They need more than
| cheap software to run on, they need software that gives them the freedom to
| provide us with the services we demand.
|
| So far from just having room for free software, the future could very well
| depend upon it.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/line_applications_just_work_so_why_worry_about_freedom_licence

Yesterday:

SDK shoot-out: Android vs. iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| The iPhone and Android phones both ship with Web browsers based on the WebKit
| rendering engine. That means Web applications designed for one will render
| almost identically on the other, provided their developers adhere to
| published standards. Those same applications will also render on WebKit-based
| desktop browsers, such as Safari and Google Chrome, and on any other browsers
| that implement the standards correctly.
|
| Based on that, all this talk of SDKs seems almost foolish. The iPhone may
| have more market share than Android today, but the standards-based Web has
| far more market share than both combined. So you tell me: If you're a
| developer, where's the smart money? The iPhone App Store? The Android SDK? Or
| somewhere else?
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2008/09/sdk_shootout_an.html

A brief history of computers and free software: where is the money?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, between 1996 and 2006 software (and data) moved away from people’s
| computers, and ended up in the “cloud” — that is, online. Software running
| locally on a computer became more and more a commodity, and less and less
| like something that was worth paying for. The Internet changed everything. A
| computer without an Internet connection was already considered mostly
| useless.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/brief_history_computers_and_free_software_where_is_the_money

How to Run Web Apps from Your Desktop