[News] Greed and Corruption Ruin the System, Transmeta Gives Up, Phorm Virus Lives

  • Subject: [News] Greed and Corruption Ruin the System, Transmeta Gives Up, Phorm Virus Lives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:47:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Skimming through the press on the current crisis

,----[ Quote ]
| We already saw what the option of doing nothing led to. And it
| wasn't "corrupted capitalism", but UNREGULATED capitalism. Unregulated, the
| capitalism evolves towards this kind of suicidal greed. The SEC is sick.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/09/25/11/19/44-skimming-through-the-press-on-th

Former employer of Linus is evaporating:

Transmeta calls it a day and looks for a buyer

,----[ Quote ]
| The low-power chip vendor, which launched in 2000 and IPO’d later that year,
| said yesterday that it had “initiated a process to seek a potential sale of
| the Company”.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/09/25/transmeta_buyer/

What remains from the ruins? Crime, approved by the police:

Police close file on BT's trials

,----[ Quote ]
| The City of London Police have said there will be no formal investigation of
| BT over its secret trials of an ad monitoring system.

Only the -paranoid- corrupt survives, including the bribing/charity-killing
Intel/Grove, from whom this quote came.

Will the European Commission slap the police for approving crime? Or Microsoft
for the collusion? Or Intel for the briberies? One can only hope.

Recent:

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

Bad Phorm: UK Police give green light to Internet spying

,----[ Quote ]
| The email is quoted by El Reg and states that "it has been decided that no
| Criminal Offence has been committed" and there was a "lack of Criminal Intent
| on behalf of BT and Phorm Inc in relation to the tests."
|
| The best bit, though, is the revelation that BT customers would have given
| implied consent to being spied upon without their knowledge because the aim
| of the tests was to enhance product quality.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20759/1054/

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Intel faces another EU probe

,----[ Quote ]
| The allegation is that Intel used 'inducements' to persuade major European
| retailers not to sell computers equipped with AMD chippage.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/16/intel-involved-eu-probe

Related:

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]
| So many charges, so little time.
|
| Intel Chairman Craig Barrett appears overwhelmed by a European Union
| investigation into the company's actions. Earlier this month, European
| Competition Commission officials busted open Intel offices in Munich, hunting
| for documents related to alleged price fixing with retailers. That raid added
| to an existing EC investigation into Intel's business practices.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/02/22/intel_barrett_eu_gripe/

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Microfraud?

,----[ Quote ]
| THE ALLEGATIONS WERE shocking: For years, Microsoft has systematically
| distorted its profit figures in an effort to consistently beat Wall Street
| expectations and keep its stock price steadily rising. The false reports
| would violate SEC regulations, and amount to outright fraud.
|
| More shocking was the source of the allegations: Microsoft's chief of
| internal audits, Charlie Pancerzewski, who reported directly to the company's
| chief financial officer.
|
| Most shocking of all was what happened to Pancerzewski when he reported the
| suspicious bookkeeping to his supervisors, Microsoft CFO Mike Brown and chief
| operating officer Bob Herbold, in the spring of 1995. Soon afterward,
| Pancerzewski—who for nearly five years had received stellar performance
| evaluations—received his first-ever unsatisfactory one, and was eventually
| forced to resign.
|
| Two months ago, Microsoft quietly settled a lawsuit containing these
| allegations, filed in 1997 by Pancerzewski under the Whistleblowers
| Protection Act. The auditor claimed he was wrongfully terminated after
| telling his supervisors that Microsoft might be breaking securities and tax
| laws. The lawsuit made its tortuous way through several rounds of pretrial
| motions until last fall, when US District Judge Carolyn Dimmick denied
| Microsoft's final plea for summary judgment, finding credible evidence that
| Microsoft may have violated SEC rules, as Pancerzewski alleged. Shortly
| thereafter, Microsoft and Pancerzewski settled out of court. Terms of the
| agreement were sealed, but one source who claims familiarity with the case
| says that Microsoft paid Pancerzewski $4 million.
`----

http://web.archive.org/web/20070308032343rn_2/www.seattleweekly.com/1999-01-06/news/microfraud.php

Microsoft's Accounting Under Scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]