Re: Fanless PC Runs GNU/Linux

On Sep 24, 12:54 pm, JEDIDIAH <j...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-09-24, The Ghost In The Machine <ewi...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 24, 4:25 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
>
> >> Panel PC runs fanlessly
>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> `----
>
> >>http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2220708863.html?kc=rss
>
> > [rest snipped for brevity]
>
> > I'll admit the above is a better form factor, but really, didn't Mac
> > already innovate this with the Cube and much earlier with
> > the Mac/MacSE? ;-)
>
>      Nope. Commodore had them all beat.

Oops.  Forgot all about the C-64, arguably the best-selling
single computer of all time (or at least the previous
millennium :-) );
you're absolutely right.

And it was Instant On before Instant On was fashionable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

>      Earlier terminals could probably be considered worthy enough
> precursors of this idea as well. There was also probably some
> Compaq quasi-portable-luggable that predated the Macs too.

I'll admit to some curiosity regarding how fast the Osbrorne/1
booted up without a floppy.  Old IBM PCs also had the
BASICA in the BIOS, which gets close to the C-64 (the
difference being a disk gronk, basically).