[News] Microsoft's Anti-Linux (AKA "Unlimited Potential") Starts New FUD Campaign

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft's Anti-Linux (AKA "Unlimited Potential") Starts New FUD Campaign
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:45:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft: Windows and Linux offer same TCO in emerging markets

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s the conclusion of a recent Microsoft-sponsored study from Vital Wave
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Consulting, which Microsoft is touting in  new posting on the company’s
| Unlimited Potential (UP) blog.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1606

Recent:

Measuring TCO: Wintel vs Lintel

,----[ Quote ]
| The most basic, and traditional, Wintel vs Lintel TCO comparison argued that
| since the hardware is the same, everything comes down to the cost of the OS
| and applications licenses -all of which are free for Lintel and expensive for
| Wintel.
|
| [...]
|
| I’ve tried to do a number of these - and the result, ultimately, is an
| argument by induction: do enough scenarios with enough internal variability
| and you’ll discover that Lintel always beats Wintel if (and only if) the
| Lintel investment is properly managed.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1090

Related:

Ballmer's Remarks Inspire A TCO Trip Down Memory Lane

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2008/03/ballmers_remark.html

,----[ Quotes with annotation ]
| "(Microsoft manager:) I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on TCO on webservers. I don't like the fact that the report show us losing
| on availability (windows was down more than linux). And I don't like the
| fact that the reports says nothing new is coming with windows .net server."
|
| [...]
|
| "I don't like it to be public on the doc that we sponsored it because I
| don't think the outcome is as favorable as we had hoped. I just don't like
| competitors using it as ammo against us. It is easier if it doesn't mention
| that we sponsored it."
`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/9000/PX09695.pdf

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/