[News] Introduction to Ultra-Lightweight Linux Windows Manager: StumpWM

StumpWM

,----[ Quote ]
| If I gladly said “I don’t need no stinkin’ icons” after setting up Fluxbox, I
| excitedly thought “I don’t need no stinkin’ mouse either” after trying out
| StumpWM.
`----

http://functionalrants.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/stumpwm/

Video in the page.

Recent:

20 Most Nimble and Simple X Window Managers for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best ways to speed up your Linux desktop is to utilize an
| ultra-lightweight window manager. To all speed-conscious techies, minimalist
| lovers, and to those who are still hoping to revive their ageing computer
| hardware, let me introduce you to the 20 most nimble and simple X window
| managers for Linux.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/20-most-nimble-and-simple-x-window.html

Review: NimbleX 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I'm rather impressed with NimbleX 2008.  It's got a little something
| for the minimalist, something for the new user, and something for the power
| user.  The entire system is very clean, very stable, and exceptionally well
| done.  I'd easily give this my two thumbs up as I really couldn't find much
| of anything to complain about.   Admittedly the installer still needs some
| work.  But aside from that, I'm very pleased with what NimbleX has to offer.
| For more information about this distribution, you can check out their
| homepage, their distrowatch page, or if you're ready to dive in, you can grab
| a copy of the installation ISO.  Of if you're really adventurous, you can
| even make your own install cd exactly to your liking.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080728#feature

Exclusive First Look: NimbleX 2008 - The seven desktop Linux distribution!

,----[ Quote ]
| Our good friend and developer of NimbleX, Bogdan Radulescu, gave us an
| exclusive copy of his new distribution, NimbleX 2008, which will be available
| for all of you tomorrow! I was really thrilled this morning when I saw the
| e-mail from Bogdan regarding the new version of NimbleX, I immediately
| downloaded the ISO image and gave it a try, to see what's new. In the
| following lines, I will share with you my personal thoughts about NimbleX, a
| small but versatile operating system based on the popular Slackware Linux.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Exclusive-First-Look-NimbleX-2008-90463.shtml

An Introduction to Linux for Activists (And Others)

,----[ Quote ]
| Well that wraps it up for what I recommend as the top distros for new Linux
| users. Next week I'll cover the installation process and some troubleshooting
| tips in case you get stuck. Until then remember that "information wants to be
| free." So stop paying Microsoft your hard earned money and free it!
`----

http://angryveteran.blogspot.com/2008/07/introduction-to-linux-for-activists-and.html

Introduction to Linux: Desktop Environments

,----[ Quote ]
| You undoubtedly notice that, although the functionality seems to overall be
| similar (with a few minor exceptions), everything seems to use a different
| name and/or is in a different place. If you've explored more than one
| distribution, this may even seem to be the case between Linux distributions.
| I'll be covering the more mainstream desktop environments, as well as
| suggested programs to replace the ones you've come to rely on in Windows.
`----

http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles/editorials/linux-%20desktops/

[Tongue in Cheek:] Messiness is better

,----[ Quote ]
| Had KDE not removed the problem, I could have set up Xfce. Had Xfce not
| solved the problem, I could turned to IceWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Afterstep or
| any of a couple of dozen other desktops or window manager.
|
| By contrast, had we been running Windows, she would have had to endure the
| problem, because only one desktop would be available for her (or perhaps I
| would have had to re-install). But, under GNU/Linux, I had an immediate
| choice of workarounds – and all because free software isn’t so rigidly
| organized that it has only one of everything. The redundancy that people love
| to decry makes an emergency far less urgent, so I, for one, hope that no
| distribution every tries to do much tidying.
`----

http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/messiness-is-better/

Wide world of desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| With that in mind, here’s a look at some of my favourite alternative desktops
| for Linux. They range from comprehensive to minimal, but they’re all great,
| and well worth a look if you want to try something new.
`----

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=3741

Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Options

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to Desktop environments there are window managers that are
| separate programs that manage the windows and interface that you use. The
| reason you would explore the option of a different window manager is that it
| will use much less resources than the GNOME or KDE Desktop. However, less
| resources in terms of RAM and CPU means more basic features. In initial
| testing in similar settings for each these are the results. It is very clear
| that GNOME uses considerably more resources than any of the alternative
| window managers.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/index.php/desktop_training/ubuntuhardyheron_cat/112-ubuntu804/1035-ubuntu-804-desktop-options
http://tinyurl.com/6r432z

Related:

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]
| With more than 300 active distributions (distros), Linux is on a roll. Linux
| distros primarily differ in terms of features since they are built on
| variants of the same kernel (32-bit/64-bit; with various features of the
| kernel enabled or disabled). “All the Linux distributions come from the same
| upstream kernel and what distinguishes each distribution is how they provide
| support, get ISVs to certify the ISV applications on the specific
| distribution, and how IHVs (Independent Hardware Vendor) get to do the same,”
| feels Nandu Pradhan, President & Managing Director, Red Hat India.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20080211/opensource03.shtml

Three reasons to use KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Efficiency: The fast desktop
|
| Internet: The network desktop
|
| Applications: The useful, powerful and fun desktop
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2006/10/18/three-reasons-to-use-kde/

Three Reasons to Use GNOME

,----[ Quote ]