Re: [News] Patent System a Joke: Most Applications Come from Just 3%

____/ Matt on Wednesday 24 September 2008 17:28 : \____

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-91524/dr-flocke:50-of-the-applications-are-made-by-only-3-of-the-applicants

> One thing to consider about patents is that they should be granted only
> for the nonobvious.  The applicant should have to show somehow that he
> has put some work and ability into the invention.  There should be some
> expensive combination of education, apparatus, lab work,
> experimentation, ability, etc. going into the invention.  Otherwise it
> is something that anybody could think of easily, and the patent acts as
> an impediment to technological progress.  That implies that more patents
> would go to large or expensive research operations than to weekend
> tinkerers.  Unfortunately in reality the main work that goes into a
> patent may be legal work.
>
> One approach would be to somehow rate the invention as to difficulty or
> cost and to grant a longer patent term for a more difficult or expensive
> invention.

The Nine Patents for a Carboard Box

,----[ Quote ]
| 39 years after the man was on the Moon, a bloody cardboard box is still
| covered by 9 patents!
|
| [...]
|
| A quick search revealed this:
|
|  U.S. Patent #4,932,930 - Method and machine for forming cases with polygonal
|  section made from a sheet material and cases thus obtained, June 12, 1990
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,147,271 - Machine for producing polygonal cases, Sep 15, 1992
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,375,715 - Polygonal section packaging of sheet material, in
|  particular for bottles and a blank, Dec 27, 1994
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,381,948 - Packaging of polygonal section made of a sheet-type
|  material and blank for producing such a packaging, Jan 17, 1995
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,400,955 - Box formed from a sheet material, blank, Mar 28,
|  1995
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,713,469 - Carton with integral core, Feb 3, 1998
|
|  U.S. Patent #5,988,389 - Article cradle, Nov 23, 1999
|
|  U.S. Patent #6,358,191 - System and method for flexible control and
|  adjustment of a box forming machine, Mar 19, 2002
|
|  U.S. Patent #6,394,742 - Method for stacking boxes and removal of individual
|  boxes from the stack, May 28, 2002
|
| The patents were granted to either Otor (a French company!) or Mead.
`----

http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2008/08/25/07/57/15-the-nine-patents-for-a-carboard-

- --
"There is such an overvaluation of technology stocks that it is absurd. I would
include our stock in that category. It is bad for the long-term worth of the
economy."
                                --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft's CEO