[News] India Adopts Free/Open Source Approach

Firms look at open source for CSR ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| Adopting the spirit of open source, people are appropriating innovative ideas
| and improvising them for coming out with solutions that help make the world a
| better place to live. And companies are all too eager to join hands with
| social entrepreneurs in putting their ideas on the ground, even showering the
| social innovators with prizes, sponsorship and linkages with industry and
| other stakeholders.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=335077&chkFlg=

Recent:

Free software vending machine

,----[ Quote ]
| Freedom toaster,’ a free software CD/DVD vending machine, will be launched at
| Technopark in the city on Monday.
|
| The Toaster is designed and developed by Zyxware Technologies and promoted
| jointly by Zyxware Technologies and GNU/Linux Users Group Trivandrum.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/01/stories/2008090160450300.htm

Related:

Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
| software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
| text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
| and the Free Software Foundation of India.
`----

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]