[News] Palm's Linux-based O/S to be Completed by Year's End

Next-gen Palm OS coming in early 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm’s next-generation operating system will be finished by the end of the
| year, according to the company by way of RegHardware.
|
| According to Palm, the Linux-based system software known as “Palm OS II”
| and “Nova” is “on track” for completion by the end of calendar 2008, with
| handsets based on the OS to follow in the first half of 2009.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=365

Days ago:

OpenMoko CEO: Embrace fragmentation, diversity is a strength

,----[ Quote ]
| During his presentation, Moss-Pultz looked back at the successes and
| challenges encountered by the OpenMoko community in the past year and talked
| about how the project's adaptability and commitment to freedom have
| contributed to its current status.
|
| Although the OpenMoko concept was initially met with enormous skepticism, it
| has achieved success and is now generating profit. The company's first
| handset, the Neo1973, was manufactured in limited quantity and sold out
| completely within the first three days after it launched. Demand for the
| product was unexpectedly high, and Moss-Pultz humorously remarked that it
| probably would have sold out faster if the servers had been able to better
| withstand the massive traffic.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-openmoko-ceo-embrace-fragmentation-diversity-is-a-strength.html

Recent:

Palm Centro hits 1 million unit mark

,----[ Quote ]
| But if Palm can build off the Centro with its next device, a Linux-based
| handset, we might see Palm back in the mix in a big way.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=19&entry_id=25341

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
|
| No longer.
|
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9949262-7.html

Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS