Re: Microsoft’s “I’m a PC” Millions Actually Promoting the Mac

Verily I say unto thee, that Phil Da Lick! spake thusly:
> Hadron wrote:

>>> justification for patetns in any given market are solely to
>>> advance the state of the art in the public domain. The protection
>>> that patents offer are *not* an incentive for a patent regime;
>>> they are a neccessary evil of the process. Software patents do
>>> not acheive the goal of advancing the state of the art, and
>>> therefore are bad for the economy.
>>
>> You're a clueless idiot. You sound like a mixture of Homer and High
>> Plains Hypocrite.

Unlikely, since I would never support patents of any kind, and I
certainly wouldn't describe any kind of "evil" as necessary.

You can whine all you like about companies "needing to protect" or
"needing to recover" their investments, but the fact is they have no
more "right" to such protection than I do if I bet on the horses. What
businesses /think/ they "need", and what they should actually be
entitled to are not necessarily the same.

Business is an *opportunity*, not a *right*. Investment is a *risk*, not
a *guarantee*. By utilising unethical laws (and lobbying to strengthen
them) to implement unnatural "protections" for things that should have
no such protection, monopolists pervert the Free Market Economy into a
cartel of racketeering operations. Perhaps you adore the concept of
gangsterism, being of dubious moral backbone yourself, but I don't.

And since you apparently still haven't figured it out yet, let me
explain what the *ethical* business model should be: Build products or
provide services, then sell them. *Not* "ideas", but the actual tangible
manifestation of those ideas. Period. That's the ethical means of making
a profit *and* covering costs ... *all* costs, including R&D. I don't
give a crap if some company claims they can't research *and* break even.
Tough. If entire industries could manage perfectly well for centuries
without patents, then these whining; greedy companies can too. Extortion
is *not* an acceptable business model.

Ideas are not property, should never have been considered property, and
should certainly never have been given unnatural protection by the law.
It may well be "advantageous" to do so, but then so is bank robbery and
narcotics distribution ... that doesn't make it *right*.

Now, go stand in the corner with your soul-mate amicus_unscrupulous.

> QED.

Not often enough to penetrate Hardon's thick skull, apparently.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player,
| That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
| And then is heard no more. It is a tale
| Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
| Signifying nothing." ~ Shakespeare

 19:11:30 up 37 days, 16:24,  5 users,  load average: 1.21, 1.19, 1.35