[News] Intellectual Monopolies Under Fire for Turning Against the People

Remember How ACTA Wasn't Supposed To Be A 'Major' Change To Copyright Laws?

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a key point that plenty of folks have made clear over the years:
| assuming that every shared file would have been a lost sale is absolutely
| false. Putting that into the law and suggesting judges use that false concept
| as a basis for calculating damages is quite troubling. In the meantime, we're
| still trying to figure out why ACTA is even necessary? And... on top of that,
| no one has yet explained why industry lobbyists have been integral to the
| negotiations, but the public and public interest groups are being blocked
| from any information based on bogus national security claims.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090414/1750504513.shtml

The case for a World Innovation Policy Organisation

,----[ Quote ]
| The disconnect between what Member States preach at WIPO and what they
| practice at home can to some extent be traced back to tactical
| considerations, but not be explained by tactics alone. There is an obvious
| disconnect within governmental departments, and a lack of engagement from
| industry, in particular, which has not briefed its government sufficiently on
| the benefits that local industry of developed countries can reap from a WIPO
| that can offer the full range of Free Software, Open Standards and Open
| Innovation Model competency alongside its traditional arsenal of exclusive
| rights.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=321

Recent:

Google: Internet disconnection a "disproportionate" penalty

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has made its position on "graduated response" rules clear: Internet
| disconnections are a disproportionate penalty for online copyright
| infringement.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/03/google-cutting-internet-access-for-p2p-abuse-disproportionate.ars

Google Provides Numbers On Just How Often DMCA Takedown Process Is Abused

,----[ Quote ]
| Some entertainment industry lawyers have been going around lately, pitching a
| fable that the DMCA isn't really that bad, since bogus takedown notices are
| somewhat rare. However, some new evidence from Google suggests quite a
| different story.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090315/2033134126.shtml

Do Patents Encourage or Hinder Innovation? The Case of the Steam Engine

`----

http://opensource.org/node/421