[News] Whither Intellectual Monopoly? Patents Fall Sharply.

Economic Downturn => Downturn in Patent Filings

,----[ Quote ]
| The first chart below shows a time series for the percentage of continuation
| applications and RCE filings as compared to the total UPR filings (Utility,
| Plant, and Re-Issue applications). Remember here, that for most PTO
| statistics, RCE filings are counted as a utility application. According to
| this data, 27.6% of all of the UPR filings thus far in FY09 are RCEs -
| continuing a steady trend of of rising RCE filings. (Note - the RCE data also
| includes historical data for CPA and R129 filings).
|
| [...]
|
| In the title of this post, I link the economic downturn with the downturn in
| patent filings. Some may also link the drop in patent filings with other
| recent events that may drop the allure of a patent application - namely, KSR
| v. Teleflex; eBay v. MercExchange; Bilski; Seagate; the prospect of further
| patent reform; the Second Pair of Eyes review; 750,000 backlog of unexamined
| patents; and the 26 month average pendency before the first OA.
`----

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/2009/04/economic-downturn-downturn-in-patent-filings.html

Recent:

Another bubble ready to burst!

,----[ Quote ]
| Sadly most of our thinking around legal protection of knowledge has
| been "derivative" in nature, a shoddy cut and paste job from the "mature IP
| systems" of the West. However, as the Bilski case shows, even these "mature
| IP systems" are having second thoughts on how they treat knowledge, or in
| this specific case, software patents. As I have argued in my previous blog
| entry, "The Practical Problem with Software Patents," the litigation-ridden
| path followed by US in granting software and business method patents is
| something we must avoid at all costs.
`----

http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/12/another-bubble-ready-to-burst.html

The Patent Bubble... Still Growing