[News] Even the (Real) Music Industry Attacks the MAFIAA

Leading copyright scholar says DoJ gets it wrong in downloader lawsuits

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/04/11/leading-copyright-sc.html

John Perry Barlow on RIAA v Tenenbaum

,----[ Quote ]
| Given my personal experiences in the music industry, and my position as a
public intellectual in discourse on copyright, music, and technology, I am
able to testify about the historical context of the recording industry’s
anti-file sharing campaign, its larger merits and shortcomings, and the social
implications of litigation such as that before this court.

| I am, in particular, aware of how the economics of ‘file sharing’ can work to
the great benefit of musicians and creators. The Grateful Dead allowed our
fans to tape concerts, essentially giving our musical way for ‘free’.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/20062

RIAA ‘bait & switch’

,----[ Quote ]
| The university ended up splashing more than $75,000 for a device that “scans
| data crisscrossing its network for copyrighted media”.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/20070

Profs protest massive P2P damage awards

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/profs-protest-massive-p2p-damage-awards.ars

MPAA’s Hacking Past Comes Back to Hunt

,----[ Quote ]
| The MPAA isn’t known for wasting opportunities to obtain information about
| BitTorrent sites and their users. In 2005 the MPAA paid around $15,000 to a
| hacker who obtained emails from TorrentSpy and The Pirate Bay. The case was
| heard in court and won by the MPAA, but this decision will soon be appealed.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mpaas-hacking-past-comes-back-to-hunt-090412/

Recent:

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars

Music stars unite to seek control

,----[ Quote ]
| UK pop and rock stars are taking action to try to gain ownership and control
| of their work from record labels.

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

UK government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]
| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
| design it nicked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/18/uk-government-stole-website

US presidential candidate is a pirate