[News] New Web Abuse Vector: ISP Caps

Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges

,----[ Quote ]
| Time Warner Cable has increased all of its Internet data caps, added some new
| ones, and generously offered to limit overage charges to $75/month. Perhaps
| that's because the company's broadband operations are actually earning more
| cash and have lower expenses than they did in 2007, making TWC's stated
| rationale for the caps less tenable.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/04/time-warner-cable-to-press-stop-questioning-our-caps.ars

Why Cable ISP Capping is the New DRM, and Suck

,----[ Quote ]
| I, like many people, have been subscribing to Internet connection services
| since the days of 300 baud modems. Then I upgraded to 14.4k, 36.6k, 56k, DSL,
| and now cable. Unfortunately, due to where I am living today, I'm stuck on 3
| Mbit Verizon DSL service, which is often running at less than 1 Mbit.
| Thankfully, my service doesn't have a download cap on it--at least not yet
| anyway.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/time-warner-cable-internet-drm,7530.html

Probably to combat torrent.

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people
don't pay for the software, [...] Someday they will, though. As long as they
are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of
addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the
next decade."

                                --Bill Gates

Related:

Microsoft blacks out pirated desktops; Chinese bloggers fume

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4135

Chinese surfers see red over Microsoft black-outs

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE49L11C20081023

Chinese Hackers Angered By Microsoft's Epic Fail

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211600312

Chinese blast Microsoft over 'black screen' piracy notice

http://www.nytimes.com/external/idg/2008/10/23/23idg-Chinese-blast-M.html

Microsoft faces boycott in China over 'virus' which shames pirated software
users

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/3253904/Microsoft-faces-boycott-in-China-over-virus-which-shames-pirated-software-users.html

Microsoft goes black, making Chinese see red

http://news.theage.com.au/technology/microsoft-goes-black-making-chinese-see-red-20081026-58vf.html

Microsoft anti-piracy tactic turns computer screens black

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2008-10-26-microsoft_N.htm

Microsoft Tactic Raises Hackles in China

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122470069570359159.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft sued over anti-piracy activity

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2228878/microsoft-sued-anti-piracy

Microsoft accused of hacking in piracy clampdown

,----[ Quote ]
| Across China thousands of computer screens are turning dark. The reason is a
| piece of software from a US firm.
|
| Software giant Microsoft is deactivating unauthorised copies of its Windows
| operating system, in a nation where 82% of all software is pirated – even if
| many end users do not know it.
`----

http://technology.newscientist.com/channel/tech/electronic-threats/dn15009-microsoft-accused-of-hacking-in-piracy-clampdown.html

Chinese fume at Microsoft anti-piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| China's vocal bloggers seemed stunned that their computers seemed to have
| phoned Microsoft for the anti-piracy tool without asking.
|
| "The computer is mine", one angry blogger penned, "Microsoft has no right to
| control my hardware without my agreement", the poor fool thought.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/10/22/chinese-fume-microsoft-anti

Microsoft sued in China for black screen of death

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/10/22/china_fury_microsoft_wga/