[News] Review of Sub-notebooks-specific GNU/Linux Works

Moblin Linux - Test drive the future

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, it is quite interesting. On the good side, the boot is very fast.
| Currently, it takes about 30 seconds, but the ultimate goal of Moblin is
| under five! The memory consumption is also very low. There were no stability
| issues. The desktop is simple, yet functional and pretty is a plain, soothing
| kind of way. You can have Flash working in about 2 minutes. Software updates
| are also quite easy.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/moblin.html

Mainstream Linux gets more netbook-friendly

,----[ Quote ]
| New releases of Mandriva and KDE Desktop are being optimised for a better
| netbook experience.
|
| Eager to add Penguin-power to your pint-sized portable? While there’s no
| shortage of distros pared back to suit a netbook or even optimised for a
| particular model of netbook – such as the Ubuntu-derivative Eeebuntu for the
| Asus Eee PC family, or Kuki Linux and Linux4One for the Acer Aspire One –
| some very high-profile players in the land of Linux are working to become
| more netbook-friendly.
|
| [...]
|
| But don’t go looking for anything like any current desktop. “We’re really
| breaking out fairly completely from the taskbar concept, as we’re not trying
| to make a ‘smaller desktop’” Seigo notes.
|
| [...]
|
| “Just as Apple made popular an interface style on handhelds that is for
| handhelds with their iPhone/iPod touch interface, netbooks deserve a similar
| treatment. The emphasis in the design is on full screen usage, speed to
| information, integration with applications and visual beauty.”
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=3749

Recent:

Are Linux netbooks really returned more often than Windows models?

,----[ Quote ]
| But Philip Solis, an analyst at ABI Research, questions the "reliability" of
| this evidence.
|
| Solis said in a March research note that Taiwan's MSI had not yet shipped a
| Linux-based Wind at the time of the comment to the magazine. When it did, it
| did "adapt" the operating system for the netbook's smaller size -- an key
| ingredient to Linux's acceptance by consumers, Solis wrote.
|
| Acer, Asus and Dell have all built customized versions of Linux for their
| netbooks. Solis said that Asus has noted equal return rates for Linux
| netbooks versus those running Windows.
|
| And while ABI's surveys show U.S. consumers clearly stating their preference
| for Windows netbooks, Solis said that isn't true around the world.
|
| In Asia, netbook buyers are both thriftier and "and not as tied to the
| Windows environment," Solis said. "They're looking for certain features, but
| they aren't as tied to a certain brand name."
|
| Solis predicts an increase in Linux netbook shipments this year, from 25% to
| a third of the 35 million netbooks expected to sell globally this year. Under
| that estimate, Linux will be shipped on 11.5 million netbook PCs in 2009.
|
| Solis is bullish about his prediction because of the coming ARM wave. With
| Microsoft still balking at porting Windows 7 to ARM's mobile CPU, PC makers
| using ARM have no choice but to use Linux.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9131204&intsrc=news_ts_head

Microsoft, FUD and the netbook market

,----[ Quote ]
| Brandon Le Blanc from Microsoft posted an interesting post about Netbooks and
| Linux last week. While we agreed with his comments about customers wanting
| choice and looking for outstanding hardware options, we disagree with much of
| his analysis and unsurprisingly the overall ’spin’ of the post.
|
| While FLOSS software has been improving year on year, the launch of the Asus
| eeePC with Linux in late 2007 sparked a extraordinary chain of events. We saw
| an increase in the number of models of computers shipping with Linux, the
| acceleration of the PC industry’s knowledge of how to work in a non-Windows
| environment and the repeated extension of XP’s shipping life.
`----

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=151

Ballmer: GNU/Linux Will Win on Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| I think this is a very frank analysis of the problem for Microsoft: after
| all, who's going to pay extra money just to get the Windows logo on a
| netbook, when they can get the same features for less with free software...?
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/ballmer-gnulinux-will-win-on-netbooks.html

One Third of Dell Inspiron Mini 9s Sold Run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell attributes part of the Linux growth to competitive pricing on the Ubuntu
| SKUs. “When you look at the sweet spot for this category it is price
| sensitivity, and Linux enabled us to offer a lower price entry point,” added
| Dell senior product manager John New.
`----

http://blog.laptopmag.com/one-third-of-dell-inspiron-mini-9s-sold-run-linux

Netbooks Open Linux Window at BETT

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same stand a large screen showed off the design appeal of the latest
| Ubuntu. This includes multiple windows rotating or rescaling. As this is
| better understood some Netbook users may return to Linux. Asustek Chairman
| Jonney Shih has predicted that about 60 percent of Eee PCs to be shipped in
| 2009 will have Windows XP.
`----

http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleView/article_view.asp?menu=A11100&no=384681&rel_no=1&back_url=

math: Windows 7 + netbook = failure - GNU/Linux as remaining winner!

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows XP is basically gone, so an OEM license is worth 20 USD for a
| manufacturer, no problem at all. Windows 7 for Netbooks is the same as all
| other Windows 7 variants - no lean, light, vlighted, 7lited or whatever. Just
| a Starter version like in Windows Vista which gives you the "power" to run
| maximum 3 applications at the same time. Where again is the advantage? Oh
| yes, now Windows 7 Starter crippled edition costs a bit more than 20 USD for
| OEM, I would say around 99 USD after discounts, tax not included or did you
| think MS stops earning money?
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10012288o-2000637757b,00.htm

Otellini: Windows 7 Upgrade for Netbooks Will Be Tough'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a challenge: Sell a Windows upgrade as a way to save money.
|
| The company's fourth quarter Windows revenue declined 8 percent, as PC buyers
| opted for lower-priced netbooks that run either Windows XP or Linux, rather
| than the higher-priced Windows Vista operating system, which does not run on
| netbook hardware.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/160967/windows7_netbooks.html?tk=rss_news

Reports: Microsoft Cripples Windows 7 Starter Edition in Hopes of Netbook
Upgrades

,----[ Quote ]
| With Windows 7 Microsoft is releasing cheap versions of its OS for netbooks,
| but faces the challenge of getting customers to buy pricier versions
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Reports+Microsoft+Cripples+Windows+7+Starter+Edition+in+Hopes+of+Netbook+Upgrades/article14532.htm

Microsoft’s Windows 7 May Not Cure Netbook Headache

,----[ Quote ]
| This time, as Microsoft readies Windows 7, the company is planning a basic
| version, as well as more expensive editions that are also targeted at
| netbooks. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said last week that he will make sure
| consumers can “trade up.”
|
| ‘Pessimistic’
|
| Many netbook buyers won’t go for it, because they want the cheapest option
| possible, said John DiFucci, the JPMorgan Chase & Co. analyst who asked the
| question that prompted Ballmer’s comment. That means investors shouldn’t
| expect Microsoft to make much more money on netbook software, the New
| York-based analyst said in a note to clients. Microsoft hasn’t released
| specific prices for the different versions of Windows 7.
|
| “I don’t know that there’s much room to charge more than what’s been charged
| currently,” said Michael Cherry, an analyst at Directions on Microsoft in
| Kirkland, Washington. “I’m pessimistic about this.”
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ahmXCOAixVMw&refer=us

Moblin V2 vs. Ubuntu Netbook Remix vs. Ubuntu MID

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week Intel had pushed out a second alpha release of Moblin V2 and now it
| boots even faster, which means they are down to the point of being able to
| boot in just a few seconds. Beyond a very quick boot process, they have
| already incorporated kernel mode-setting and other newer Linux/X.Org
| technologies while also working to build a desktop environment around the
| Clutter OpenGL tool-kit. Moblin is certainly turning into an interesting
| Intel creation, but how does its performance compare to other mobile-focused
| Linux distributions? We have benchmarked Moblin V2 Alpha 2 and compared it
| against what is likely their biggest competitor in the mobile space, Ubuntu
| Netbook Remix, and the LPIA-based Ubuntu MID edition. Which of these mobile
| operating systems is the fastest? We hope to find out today.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=moblin_ubuntu_mobile&num=1

What next for the netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| Price-wise I'd say that high-end netbooks are perhaps getting too far away
| from the initial premise of a small, cheap companion. These days the high-end
| models cost at least $900. Kogan Technologies is set to shake things up with
| its $499 10-inch netbook running gOS - a flavour of Linux designed to play
| nicely with Google services. I'm wondering if this will put pressure on other
| netbook makers to get back to basics and release a stripped-down 10 inch
| netbook to compete at around the $500 mark. Such a price war would certainly
| see netbooks take off again.
`----

http://digihub.smh.com.au/node/422

Related:

Crimes Microsoft Gets Away With - So Far

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://technocrat.net/no-cache/d/2008/7/30/46981