[News] Open Source Initiative Goes Against Intellectual Monopolies

Do Patents Encourage or Hinder Innovation? The Case of the Steam Engine

| Boulton and Watt had a patent on the separate condensor from 1769 to 1800,
| with almost absolute control on the development of the steam engine. During
| the later period, the inventors declined to patent their inventions, and
| there was greater innovation. The beneficiary? Everyone who used a steam
| engine, or bought products produced by a steam engine.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/421

Recent:

Bill Gates, top Microsoft executives do some of their inventing on the side

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates and several of Microsoft’s top technologists are credited as
| inventors in eight newly disclosed U.S. patent applications. That isn’t a
| surprise. But here’s where it starts to get unusual: The applications weren’t
| made on Microsoft’s behalf.
|
| [...]
|
| Here's what we know: An entity called Searete LLC applied for the patents.
| Searete is part of Intellectual Ventures LLC, the Bellevue-based invention
| house run by Nathan Myhrvold, Microsoft’s former chief technology officer.
| Myhrvold’s company has stirred controversy with its large patent hoard.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Gates_top_Microsoft_executives_do_some_inventing_on_the_side34192179.html

Top Microsoft Execs Moonlighting For a Patent Bully

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/211259