[News] Charity Killer Offers Hardware-specific Improvements to GNU C Compiler

Intel Looks To Make Large Contribution To GCC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel contributes quite a bit to the development of X.Org and the Linux
| kernel, through a number of Intel employees working on Linux full-time,
| making hardware contributions, etc. Up until recently, Intel even had its own
| Linux distribution (Moblin) for their Atom hardware. One area, however, where
| Intel has not been a major contributor is with the GNU Compiler Collection
| (GCC) considering they have long preferred their own high-performance Intel
| Compiler (ICC). That's not to say Intel hasn't made any contributions towards
| this critical piece of free software, but AMD and others have been more
| involved with GCC while Intel worked on its non-free ICC package. It looks
| though like things could be changing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzE5Nw

Recent:

Developments in the GCC world

,----[ Quote ]
| As GCC nears its 4.4 release, there are a number of criteria that need to be
| met before it can be released. Those requirements—regressions requiring
| squashing—have been met, but things are still stalled. A number of issues
| were raised with the changes to the runtime library exemption that have
| caused the release, and a branch that will allow new development into the GCC
| tree, to be delayed until that is resolved. In the meantime, however, GCC
| development is hardly standing still, there are numerous interesting ideas
| floating around for new features.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/324028/

GCC To Receive Automatic Parallelization Support

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Razya Ladelsky today outlined plans for providing automatic
| parallelization support within the GNU Compiler Collection. The Graphite
| Framework, which provides high-level loop optimizations based upon the
| polyhedral model, was merged for the forthcoming release of GCC 4.4 and it
| will be used eventually to provide some level of automatic parallelization
| support. Graphite will be combined with autopar, which is an automatic
| parallelization code generator based upon GOMP that in turn implements
| OpenMP.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEzNA

Plug-in architecture on the way for the gcc

,----[ Quote ]
| When Richard Stallman began writing Bison in 1983, he was only trying to
| build the bits of an operating system he would need to write another
| operating system. But that recursive goal was no stranger than the recursive
| name he would create for the software he would eventually create: the GNU
| Project, where GNU standard for “ GNU is Not Unix.”
|
| And now, 25 years later, one of the most important tools to come out of the
| GNU Project’s drive for the GNU Operating System—the GNU Compiler Collection—
| has received approval from the Free Software Foundation to begin work on a
| plug-in architecture.
|
| Mark Mitchell, founder of CodeSourcery, confirmed that the FSF gave its
| permission to prepare the gcc for plug-ins. This is the first time that such
| permission has been granted.
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/PLUG_IN_ARCHITECTURE_ON_THE_WAY_FOR_THE_GCC/33218

Fall Release of Sourcery G++™ Includes Most Up-to-Date GNU Toolchain Available

,----[ Quote ]
| CodeSourcery, Inc. announces the fall release of Sourcery G++, a complete
| C/C++ development environment based on the GNU Toolchain and the Eclipse™
| IDE. Sourcery G++ 4.3 includes the latest release of the GNU C and C++
| Compilers (GCC 4.3.2) and the GNU Debugger (GDB 6.8.50) available from the
| Free Software Foundation with significant additional enhancements developed
| by CodeSourcery’s expert GNU Toolchain team.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20081028005158&newsLang=en

GCC 4.3.2 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GCC 4.3.2 has been released.
|
| GCC 4.3.2 is a bug-fix release, containing fixes for regressions in GCC
| 4.3.1 relative to previous GCC releases.
`----

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/2008/msg00004.html

Wellington event hosts free software advocate Richard Stallman

,----[ Quote ]
| Free software advocate Richard Stallman is in New Zealand for a limited time
| to speak about copyright and share his experiences establishing the world’s
| first free user operating system.
|
| He will be presenting at Unlimited Potential’s Gadgets, Games and Geeks Expo
| on Wednesday 13th August – an annual event featuring the newest and brightest
| games and gadgets Wellington's geek community has on offer.

on the present and future of GCC

,----[ Quote ]
| Next Tuesday, August 12th 2008, Diego Novillo, Google employee and  long-time
| active member of the GCC developer community, will visit our  lab.
|
| During his visit, Diego will give a presentation on the present and  future
| of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection), at 2.30pm in the Turing  meeting room
| (level -3).
`----

http://www.elis.ugent.be/nl/node/1780

GCC 4.3.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GCC 4.3.1 is a bug-fix release, containing fixes for regressions in GCC
| 4.3.0 relative to previous GCC releases.
`----

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/2008/msg00003.html

GCC 4.3 Release Series

,----[ Quote ]
| The GNU project and the GCC developers are pleased to announce the release of
| GCC 4.3.0.
|
| This release is a major release, containing new features (as well as many
| other improvements) relative to GCC 4.2.x.
`----

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/

Related:

GCC 4.2.3 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| 4.2.3 has been released. GCC 4.2.3 is a bug-fix release, containing fixes for
| regressions in GCC 4.2.2 relative to previous GCC releases. This release is
| available from the FTP servers.
`----

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/changes.html

GCC 4.2.2 Compiler Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing in the GCC 4.2 series is the release of GCC 4.2.2. GCC 4.2.2
| contains changes and other fixes since GCC 4.2.1.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjEwOA

BSD Licensed PCC Compiler Imported

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not yet bug-free, but it can compile the i386 userspace. The big
| benefit of it (apart from that it's BSD licensed, for license geeks :-) is
| that it is fast, 5-10 times faster than gcc, while still producing reasonable
| code.
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20070915195203&mode=expanded/

Tools: GCC 4.2.0 Released