[News] China and ACTA; Temporary Defeat of Anti-Internet Laws

China and ACTA: Why Is The Problem Not Made Part Of The Solution?

,----[ Quote ]
| Section 2. Border Measures:
| Under discussion is whether border measures should apply not only to
| importations (as TRIPs prescribes) but also to export and transit of goods;
| Another possible point of contention is whether travelers can import
| counterfeit or pirated goods for their personal use (de minimis exception);
| It is no surprise that ACTA tries to solve some of the points, which
| especially has frustrated the US (which among other reasons brought a claim
| against China at the WTO: DS 362): measures to ensure that infringing goods
| are not released into free circulation and the destruction of goods that have
| been determined to infringe intellectual property rights.
`----

http://ipdragon.blogspot.com/2009/04/china-and-acta-why-is-problem-not.html

A little bit of good news from France

,----[ Quote ]
| In Spain, as in France, Italy and all over Europe, local "artists" are very
| active on the anti-freedom of downloading campaign, attributing the bad
| economic performances of the European (respectively, Spanish, French, ...)
| movie industry to the use of P2P software and downloading. As everyone knows,
| before P2P appeared the European movie industries were thriving and their
| movies were dominanting the world market.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000000836

Recent:

Political Hypocrisy: French President Sued for Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| This may very well become the most ironic stories of 2009 in the copyright
| debate. The CBC is reporting that French president Nicolas Sarkozy has been
| sued by an independent band for copyright infringement.
`----

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/10034/Political+Hypocrisy+French+President+Sued+for+Copyright+Infringement

Is Nicholas Sarkozy One Strike Towards Losing His Internet Connection?

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest is that French President, Nicholas Sarkozy, a big supporter of
| setting up a three strikes law in France, is being accused of violating
| copyright law himself.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090226/0101073907.shtml

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

UK government stole website theme