[News] Free Software Runs in Back End of Academia, Samba in Datacentres

Open Source CMS Drives Academic Initiatives in Cal State System

,----[ Quote ]
| In keeping with its mission to identify learning-related problems, and then
| apply technology to support effective instruction, CDL has added the WebGUI
| content management system to its stable of technology tools. Built to give
| average users the ability to build and maintain complex Web sites, WebGUI is
| modular, pluggable, platform-independent, and designed to keep the management
| of content in the hands of those who create content, rather than take up the
| time of busy IT staff.
`----

http://campustechnology.com/articles/2009/04/08/open-source-cms-drives-academic-initiatives-in-cal-state-system.aspx

Samba 4 beta offers platform choice to data centers

,----[ Quote ]
| Samba 4 is an ongoing major rewrite of the existing interface between Linux
| and Windows file servers. The goal of the four-year project, which is
| proceeding concurrently with a Samba 3 update, is to replicate the functions
| of Microsoft's Active Directory in a mixed environment (e.g., for Linux, Unix
| and Windows). Lead developer Andrew Bartlett, whose work is heavily
| underwritten by Raleigh, N.C.-based Red Hat Inc. was working on Samba 4,
| alpha 4, when we chatted a year ago.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1353341,00.html?track=sy184

Recent:

Samba Team Releases Samba 3.2

,----[ Quote ]
| The Samba Team is proud to announce the release of Samba 3.2, a major new
| release of the award-winning Free Software file and print server suite for
| Microsoft Windows clients.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-07-01-011-26-NW-SV-RL

Related:

FOSS folk who make us proud

,----[ Quote ]
| Five days ago, three members of the free and open source software community
| finally heaved a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from their brows after
| winning a battle they had waged for years.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15896/1090/

Samba's Tridge clusters code and crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: How much will the agreement result in the increased interoperability
|    between Windows and Linux/Unix?
|
| tridge: For the sections of the protocols we already implement, Samba already
|         has quite good interoperability. Where it will make more of a
|         difference is allowing us to expand into new areas where we
|         previously lacked features that Windows servers have. For example in
|         the area of Active Directory replication, and remote indexing.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;486554008;fp;4;fpid;4

Interview with Carlos Piana

,----[ Quote ]