[News] Vision Says Free Software to Win Entirely

2020 vision: What’s next for news

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source wins. Open Source solutions and platforms will push proprietary
| systems to the brink simply because of the rate at which they adapt to change
| and innovation. Pay attention to the Big Media attempt to monetize this Open
| Source principle through the proliferation of news APIs, but don’t expect it
| to succeed unless these APIs give developers and end-users more freedom.
`----

http://www.mediachannel.org/wordpress/2009/04/09/2020-vision-whats-next-for-news/

Recent:

Free software will win. Eventually.

,----[ Quote ]
| Making dramatic statements always implies a need to “back” them (or “prove”
| them) with facts, data, statistics. However, a statement like “Free software
| works better than proprietary software” is so broad, anybody can prove it and
| disprove it at will. It depends on which angle you take, which area, and what
| your comparison terms are. However, I would like to add an important keyword
| to that sentence: “Free software works better than proprietary software”.
| That easily-missed word shyly hiding in brackets makes all the difference.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/free_software_will_win_eventually

Related:

Open Source Profits During A Recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past few months there's been a lot of talk about the possibility of
| a recession. And for those of you working in various aspects of the IT
| sector, job security is certainly a concern. This type of financial climate
| change can often lead to a difference in the software buying habits of the
| casual computer user and those in the business world.
`----

http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200711/ij_11_30_07a.html

Enterprise IT spending is on the decline...Is that why open source is booming?

,----[ Quote ]
| It will be interesting to see how long the economic malaise will persist, and
| what will happen when it lifts. I expect to see open-source companies firmly
| entrench themselves during the downturn, thereby positioning themselves to
| scoop up the extra cash that will flow in the economy's resurgence.
|
| There's never been a better time to be in open source. Why? When budgets
| tighten, companies get smarter with their IT budgets. Smart money buys open
| source.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9818835-16.html

Open source to hit $22 billion by 2010. What this means for Red Hat and Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this number jumps to $41 billion if you add in the $19 billion
| that enterprises will invest in internal open-source development instead of
| wasting it on proprietary software licenses, according to Morgan Stanley...
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9806036-16.html?tag=cnetfd.blogs.item

European spend on open source software hits 22bn Euros

,----[ Quote ]
| Rishab Ghosh, a senior researcher at the UN University in Maastricht,
| will tell the Open Ireland conference in Dublin that the spend in the
| US on free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) stands at 36bn
| Euros and accounts for 20pc of software spend in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850

Open source funding: the complete picture

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to VC funding, we also took a look at the amounts raised
| by open source vendors via initial public offerings. These figures
| are not included in the totals of $1.89bn or $2.02bn, but for those
| that are interested, between them Red Hat, VA, Caldera, Mandriva,
| Turbolinux and Trolltech raised $319.9m via their IPOs.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/open_source_fun_2.html

Why do vendors invest in open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Harvard Business School has published the preliminary draft
| an interesting report that confirms one thing we probably could
| have guessed - that vendors invest in open source for economic,
| rather than altruistic, reasons - and calculates a number of
| things we probably couldn't - such as the fact that vendors
| invested $2bn in open source software between 1995 and 2005.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/12/why_do_vendors.html

Source of the revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Ghosh, the notional value of Europe's investment in
| free/libre or open source software (FLOSS) today is e22bn,
| representing 20.5pc of the region's total software investment.
| Spending on OSS stands at e36bn and accounts for 20pc of software
| expenditure in the US.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single8105

Some Enterprises Will Delay New PCs for Vista

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/some_enterprises_will_delay_new_pcs_for_vista.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535