[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Exploited to Steal from Banks

New e-crime units nabs nine banking Trojan suspects

,----[ Quote ]
| The suspects - four women and five men - were arrested following police raids
| in south east London. Investigators reckon the group of UK-based eastern
| European nationals used malware planted on compromised machines to steal
| login credentials and plunder online banking accounts.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/09/banking_trojan_arrests/

Recent:

PSBank migrates to IBM Syztem z for Linux application

,----[ Quote ]
| PSBank also said it has decided to migrate its database to IBM System z. The
| country’s second-largest bank will use the System z mainframe for seven
| Linux-based online transaction processor (OLTP) applications and its data
| warehouse, according to data obtained by the BusinessMirror from IBM
| Philippines.
`----

http://businessmirror.com.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1757:psbank-migrates-to-ibm-syztem-z-for-linux-application&catid=25:bankingandfinance

ZINNOVATION Business Resiliency Solutions Complement New IBM Business Class
Mainframe

,----[ Quote ]
| That means consolidation, virtualization and resource efficiency;
| coincidentally exactly what IBM is delivering with the new Business Class z10
| mainframe, Linux on System Z and new z/OS 1.10 operating system.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20081110005131&newsLang=en

Arab National Bank Selects Symark International’s PowerSeries Solutions to
Manage Privileged Access and Meet Compliance Requirements

,----[ Quote ]
| Symark’s PowerPassword solves these issues by providing UNIX/Linux user
| account management in addition to login and password security policies for
| resources stored and local accounts on UNIX and Linux servers.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080818005120&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/5k5h34

Bank of America may finally embrace Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| "As the usage of Firefox browsers has increased with our customer base, we
| will be initiating a full support model for Firefox version 2.x in the very
| near future," spokeswoman Tara Burke told Networkworld.com.
|
| Think "the very near future" will prove to be very soon? Don't bank on it.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9986201-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Suncorp envisages Linux, ODF for 20,000 desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software is set to play an increasingly important role at
| Australia's sixth largest bank, according to Smith, who said that Suncorp
| will look to use open source "wherever we can".
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Suncorp-envisages-Linux-ODF-for-20-000-desktops/0,130061733,339289679,00.htm?omnRef=1337

Related:

FNB switches 12 000 desktops to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With 12 000 desktops switching to Linux this is very likely the
| most significant Linux and open source implementation in South
| Africa to date.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1562

Oracle easy meat for Red Hat Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| He said Red Hat was currently working with a "large bank", whom he kept
| anonymous, to introduce Linux into its IT environment.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22646223-5013040,00.html

Open Source Slowly Gains Momentum on Wall Street

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=20569