[News] Microsoft's Deliberate Lies Get Them Busted

Ubuntu accuses Microsoft of Linux netbook FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| LaBlanc opened by claiming that almost all netbooks sold today are sold with
| Windows. Well, no, not really. The numbers LaBlanc cites are from NPD's sales
| survey. NPD focuses on brick-and-mortar U.S. sales, not overall sales. Notice
| how many Linux systems you see at Best Buy? NPD numbers say a lot more about
| retail channel sales than it does over-all sales. Besides, as Canonical's
| director of business development Kenyon wrote, "However here is an
| interesting fact--when customers are offered choice on equally
| well-engineered computers around a third will select Ubuntu over XP."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_accuses_microsoft_of_linux_netbook_fud

Canonical Strikes Back at Microsoft's Linux 'FUD'

http://www.osnews.com/story/21285/Canonical_Strikes_Back_at_Microsoft_s_Linux_FUD_

Canonical: End-Users Are Satisfied with Ubuntu Linux on Well-Engineered
Netbooks.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20090408195405_Canonical_End_Users_Are_Satisfied_with_Ubuntu_Linux_on_Well_Engineered_Netbooks.html

Related:

Vista: better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| But wait! The NPD Group? Isn't it that market research firm which
| spotted the opportunities offered by the corporate movie and music
| companies from afar and almost overnight became an expert on p2p
| file sharing with, "highly questionable statistics blatantly
| slanted towards the entertainment cartels?"
`----

http://p2pnet.net/story/10999

Early Vista Sales Don't Tell the Whole Story

,----[ Quote ]
| To be clear: The missing information is to be expected, and I don't
| mean to reflect poorly on Swenson or NPD. Research firms aren't in
| the business of giving away information to the news media, but
| selling it to clients. The information provided to the press
| should be incomplete.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/early_vista_sales_dont_tell_the_whole_story.html

Zune doesn't shake iPod's market lead
     ^^^^^^^

,----[ Quote ]
| 'All in all, that's a pretty good performance,'' said Stephen Baker,
| an analyst with Reston, Va.-based NPD.
|                                   ^^^
`----

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/16263552.htm

Zune does a bit better than expected

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite getting a hammering in the tech press, Microsoft's Zune has
| had respectable sales last month according to data from market
| research firm NPD Group.
|               ^^^

Microsoft's Xbox 360 US sales-NPD story withdrawn
                              ^^^

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20061208:MTFH45656_2006-12-08_01-12-52_N07221320&type=comktNews&rpc=44