[News] GNU/Linux Enjoys Good Hardware Support, Despite Microsoft's Myths

Linux Desktop Hardware Myths Explored

,----[ Quote ]
| For instance I own a Wii guitar for Rock Band that I use to play Frets On
| Fire during my off time. Works out of the box, all I had to do is setup the
| button configuration from within the game itself.
|
| I also have two external hard drives using various Linux file systems on
| multiple partitions. Each partition mounts immediately once the external hard
| drive is plugged in. And saving the best for last, I tested things out by
| purchasing a random external DVD Burner (Sony brand) that I picked up at
| random from Best Buy simply because it was cheap.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/12068_3814316_1/Linux-Desktop-Hardware-Myths-Explored.htm

Recent:

Fighting the "legacy" reputations of GNU/Linux, seventeen years later

,----[ Quote ]
| So there it was, a reasonably seasoned GNU/Linux user who had experienced
| great success with it, fell back to the old, old reputation that it’s harder
| to get peripherals working with GNU/Linux than Windows. If you read back
| through my description above you’ll note he had successfully installed both
| printers and then un-installed and reinstalled them later. Those procedures
| had “just worked” — but the printers hadn’t — yet he still thought that
| perhaps using them from Windows would fix it. As it happened just installing
| the second one in Windows had been a pain — he had no driver CD you see.
|
| I don’t blame him for his assumption. I’ve had plenty of cases where printer
| manufacturers were doing special — undocumented — things with the Windows
| drivers. It’s also fairly unfortunate to have two printers experience very
| similar problems one after the other so his assumption that it might be the
| PC was a pretty good guess. But what bothers me is that someone who has had
| so much success with GNU/Linux can still believe that Windows would
| automatically succeed where GNU/Linux hadn’t.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/fighting_the_legacy_reputations_of_linux_seventeen_years_later

Related:

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

,----[ Quote ]
| We, the undersigned Linux kernel developers, consider any closed-source Linux
| kernel module or driver to be harmful and undesirable. We have repeatedly
| found them to be detrimental to Linux users, businesses, and the greater
| Linux ecosystem. Such modules negate the openness, stability, flexibility,
| and maintainability of the Linux development model and shut their users off
| from the expertise of the Linux community. Vendors that provide closed-source
| kernel modules force their customers to give up key Linux advantages or
| choose new vendors. Therefore, in order to take full advantage of the cost
| savings and shared support benefits open source has to offer, we urge vendors
| to adopt a policy of supporting their customers on Linux with open-source
| kernel code.
|
| We speak only for ourselves, and not for any company we might work for today,
| have in the past, or will in the future.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lkm_position_statement.html

Apple now less reliable than cheap Chinese computers

,----[ Quote ]
| REASSURINGLY EXPENSIVE COMPUTERS MADE BY APPLE are now less reliable than
| cheap and cheerful machines made by Asus and Lenovo.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/535/1051535/apple-reliable-cheap-chinese-computers

Linux device driver project needs more unsupported devices to work on!

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem is that even though Kroah-Hartman and his developers are willing
| to sign NDAs (nondisclosure agreements) for companies that are reluctant to
| open up their devices to open source, businesses are still hanging
| back. "What we need now is more companies participating in the project,"
| Kroah-Hartman said.
|
| [...]
|
| He also wondered if the problem of Linux device drivers has been
| overstated...

A Vista vs. Linux Matchup

,----[ Quote ]

`----