[News] New Laws Push Free Software Into Healthcare

New law helps open source

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the $20 billion package also contains a more obscure provision that
| has buoyed hopes among advocates of open-source technologies projects that
| have struggled to gain acceptance in the health IT marketplace.
`----

http://govhealthit.com/articles/2009/03/30/arra-open-source.aspx

Stimulus provision backs open-source IT systems for health care

http://www.smartbrief.com/news/snm/storyDetails.jsp?issueid=355AB7B4-7965-4178-8113-0ABF6F4217D6&copyid=4787A2F7-0CC2-4FB7-85C1-921201470041

Stimulus Plan Provision Calls for Study on Open Source Health IT

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal stimulus package includes a provision that directs HHS to conduct
| a study to examine the availability of open source health IT systems and
| compare the total cost of ownership with the cost of proprietary systems,
| Government Health IT reports.
`----

http://www.ihealthbeat.org/Articles/2009/3/31/Stimulus-Plan-Provision-Calls-for-Study-on-Open-Source-Health-IT.aspx

OASIS and HITSP Collaborate on Interoperability Demo of Healthcare Privacy
Standards at HIMSS09

,----[ Quote ]
| Support for XSPA Sun Microsystems "The Nationwide Health Information Network
| (NHIN) is the poster child for all of the benefits that open source software
| and open standards provide," said Bill Vass, president and COO of Sun
| Microsystems. "The federal government has built a working prototype capable
| of being deployed across multiple agencies in a matter of months with minimal
| costs.
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat "As a leader in open source, we are committed to adoption of OASIS
| security standards, and we support industry interoperability efforts
| surrounding them. We are eager to showcase the applicability of standards and
| open source technology to enable privacy and secure transmission in
| e-healthcare.
`----

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-oasis-hitsp-collaborate-interoperability-demo-healthcare-privacy-standards-/2009/04/04/4105896.htm

Open-Source Healthcare

http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20090331112058148

Recent:

IT for health

,----[ Quote ]
| The solution to the problem of flexibility lies in free and open source
| software. India has already adopted open source approaches in administrative
| systems and education projects. This represents a good policy foundation on
| which to build a national eHealth system. It could, for a start, leverage the
| strengths of the large open source software community.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2009/04/03/stories/2009040355500800.htm

VistA now all open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The big open source struggle that began with Linux, moved to enterprise
| applications and then the consumer space, is now pointed directly at the
| heads of doctors and hospitals.
|
| VistA, the public record EHR and hospital management software created by the
| Veterans Administration, is once again an open source movement with word that
| DSS, its biggest commercial licenser, is switching to the Eclipse Public
| License.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3266

Healthcare Conference to Focus on Open Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/healthcare-conference-to-focus-on-open-source-solutions