[News] Linux Runs on One-Watt System

Tiny x86 module runs on one Watt

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bifferboard incorporates a 150MHz RDC R8610 CPU, consumes one Watt, and
| offers 32MB of SDRAM and 1GB flash, pre-loaded with OpenWrt Linux 2.6.27.5,
| says the company.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3314447002.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Die-shrunk x86 SoC draws 2 Watts at 1GHz

,----[ Quote ]
| DMP Electronics announced a 32-bit x86-compatible SoC (system on chip)
| claimed to run Linux using under two Watts. The Vortex86DX targets home
| gateways, thin clients, and industrial controllers, and offers an "embedded
| redundancy" feature that can link two boards, says DMP.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3441675696.html?kc=rss

The BeagleBoard: $149 Linux System

,----[ Quote ]
| The beagleboard is low cost fanless development board with Linux support. And
| it is low cost, you can get one for $149 from digikey. And it is low power,
| it uses less than 2 Watts and can run via USB power (although it does have a
| secondary power input).
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/beagleboard-149-linux-system

Related:

Fit PC runs Linux and draws only 5W of power

,----[ Quote ]
| There are power efficient computers and then there are power efficient
| computers.  Enter the Fit PC, a small, self-contained, fanless computer that
| draws 3W to 5W when it is on.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2007/10/15/fit-pc-runs-linux-and-draws-only-5w-of-power/

Linux vs. Windows Power Usage

,----[ Quote ]
| For these tests we hadn't used the Lenovo ThinkPad R52 notebook again, but
| had turned to an older hardware configuration.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=880&num=1

Windows, Linux vie for honours

,----[ Quote ]
| Projects include the "tickles kernel" which enables the processor to sleep
| between tasks and better power management to USB peripherals.
|
| [...]
|
| That lightness had also allowed Linux to become a strong player in the
| embedded market, where energy efficiency was critical to success, Mr King
| said.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,22393733-5013045,00.html

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3