Re: Microsoft MVP Installs GNU/Linux

On Apr 3, 1:36 pm, Homer <use...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
>
> > When I was an MVP, I used to post regularly to the .net groups using
> > slrn on gentoo linux - and I made it quite clear as it was part of my
> > .sig.  Nobody cares.  Many MVP's also use Linux.  I'm not sure why
> > you think this is a big deal?
>
> I bet Sweaty the Impaler thinks it's a big deal.
>
> After all, according to him "Linux violates 235 Microsoft patents", so
> I'd imagine he finds it a bit hard to accept his MVPs might be using
> this "infringing" software.
>
> Now I'm not suggesting you're a corporate thug like Ballmer, but he is
> nonetheless the CEO of the company you're so closely associated with,
> and this company is one of the world's most corrupt and reprehensible,
> with a litany of extremely well documented crimes and thuggish
> behaviour, spurred by an institutionalised hatred of democracy,
> capitalism and freedom, and a particularly malevolent agenda against
> Free Software (which Ballmer describes as a "cancer").
>
> So are you really surprised when Linux advocates sneer at the discovery
> of Microsoft MVPs using Free Software?

Only because they are ignorant of what it means to be an MVP?  I've
never even been to the Redmond campus.  I've never met anyone from
MS.  I got a couple of nice gifts and a free MSDN subscription.
That's about it.

> Like Ballmer, I'd find it hard to consolidate this contradictory
> behaviour, but for quite antithetical reasons - of course. It is a quite
> inescapable fact, that by technically supporting Microsoft, you are
> helping them, which means that (unless you are chained to your desk, and
> have a gun pointed at your head) you are complicit with their behaviour.

If you say so.

> Being forced to support Microsoft as an inevitable consequence of one's
> employment, where one did not actually choose to work on the Microsoft
> "stack" from the outset, is one thing, but the "honour" of MVP is not a
> "job", it's an "award presented by Microsoft [to] exceptional technical
> community leaders ... for _voluntarily_ providing technical expertise
> towards technical communities supporting Microsoft products or
> technologies." [1]

Yep.  I spent a lot of time helping others - for free, on my own
time.  Sounds really, sinister to me.

--
Tom Shelton