[News] Google Drops the "Do No Evil" Motto

Residents challenge Google camera

,----[ Quote ]
| Police were called to Broughton, near Milton Keynes, after residents staged
| the protest accusing Google of invading their privacy and "facilitating
| crime".
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/7980737.stm

Gang of villagers chase away Google car

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/04/03/google.anger/index.html?eref=rss_tech

Recent:

Google seeks patent on networking site

,----[ Quote ]
| NEW DELHI: World's most visited Internet search site Google has filed a
| patent application in the country for its recently developed social network
| site based on user preferences and format performance data.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/09/29/stories/2008092950140100.htm

Google's ad plans for Silverlight prompt questions for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc. said Tuesday that its DoubleClick subsidiary will begin powering
| video advertising within Microsoft's Silverlight 2 rich-media player,
| prompting some observers to question the implications for Microsoft's own
| online advertising strategy.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9111681&intsrc=news_ts_head

Google learns to crawl Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past, web designers faced challenges if they chose to develop a site
| in Flash because the content they included was not indexable by search
| engines. They needed to make extra effort to ensure that their content was
| also presented in another way that search engines could find.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/google-learns-to-crawl-flash.html

Google Code blacklists Mozilla Public License

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla Public License (MPL) is the latest casualty of Google's decision
| to remove open-source licenses from its popular code hosting service.
|
| The search giant has said Google Code is no longer accepting projects
| licensed under MPL, although existing MPL-licensed code is allowed to stay.
|
| The move comes two years after Google Code launched, when MPL was one of just
| seven licenses Google allowed developers to use. Others included Apache, BSD
| and the Free Software Foundation's GPL and LGPL.
|
| Google's MPL ban follows the block on FSF's Affero GPL. That decision's seen
| a number of projects abandon Google Code for rival hosts.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/googlecode_bans_mpl/

Google Is Evil in a Flash

,----[ Quote ]
| What that means in practice is that one of the major downsides of using
| Flash – its invisibility to search engines like Google - has partly
| disappeared. That, in turn, is likely to encourage more Web designers to
| incorporate it into their sites – making the experience more like television
| than the Internet. Flash not only takes the control away from the visitor, it
| renders its content opaque in terms of links.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=986

Google is God

,----[ Quote ]
| For something I’m working on, I compiled a bunch of stats on Google (sorry, I
| didn’t intend to blog it and so I didn’t capture all the links, but I found
| the collection so compelling I thought I’d share it):
|
| • Google is the “fastest growing company in the history of the world.” –
| Times of London, 1/29/06
`----

http://www.buzzmachine.com/2007/12/29/google-is-god/

Related:

Google to recruit a bevy of Europeans lobbyists

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the search engine heavyweight, is no longer prepared to
| stay out of the business of fashioning the political environment
| for decisions made in Europe. For lobbying work on its behalf the
| company is at present searching in numerous large European cities
| for politics-savvy lawyers; one such "European Policy Counsel"
| position will be available in Hamburg/Berlin.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/87158/from/rss09

Don't mess with Google's astroturf squad

,----[ Quote ]
| Long before it employed bloggers to do the job for it, Microsoft hired
| sympathetic members of the public to make its case in online forums,
| posing as disinterested citizens. Things got much more professional as
| the antitrust trial unfurled. After hiring DCI in the late 1990s,
| Microsoft created two new trade groups, the Association for Competitive
| Technology (ACT), and the Americans for Technology Leadership (ALT),
| and marshaled campaigns such as "Freedom to Innovate" - encouraging
| Windows users the chance to make spontaneous gestures of support for
| Chairman Bill.
|
| These weren't always too successful. A campaign in 2001 to petition 17
| state's Attorney Generals - who had pooled resources to bring their
| own antitrust action against Microsoft - resulted in supportive letters
| being written by dead people.
|
| And the astroturf taint continues today.
|
| Most recently, a spoof video portraying Al Gore as a Penguin was reported
| to have originated from a computer registered to the DCI Group, although
| the lobby group said it did not fund or approve the video.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/14/google_lobby/

Google Hires Former DOJ Lawyer to Lobby

,----[ Quote ]