[News] Serious Progress for Free Software Programming: Pyhton, Eclipse, and Qt

Python goes Mercurial

,----[ Quote ]
| Python is moving to a distributed version control system (DVCS), but unlike
| many projects which have moved to Git, Guido van Rossum has selected
| Mercurial, also known as Hg (the chemical symbol for mercury), as the DVCS
| for Python
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Python-goes-Mercurial--/news/112969

Not A Product

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing in my "State of Eclipse" retrospective, today's column is about
| Eclipse's bipolar nature as both a framework and a product. I think this is a
| mistake and that we're doing a disservice to both our users and our members.
|
| By providing packages and pre-compiled binaries on the eclipse.org download
| page, we are promoting Eclipse to our users as a product. It's a product like
| Firefox or Visual Studio: one click to start the downloader/installer and
| then, moments later, we're running a slick looking integrated development
| environment for Java or C++ or PHP. As an Eclipse user myself, I admit that
| this product-packaging is very convenient.
|
| But by providing easy-to-install packaged binaries, we're also entering a
| social contract with our users. In today’s web world, the "download now"
| button implies a tested and supported product, neither of which we offer.
`----

http://eclipse-projects.blogspot.com/2009/04/not-product.html

Integration Watch: Qt: suddenly resurgent

,----[ Quote ]
| For many years, the Qt toolkit has been the best GUI toolkit available on the
| market. Better than the Java client libraries (Swing and SWT), better than
| Microsoft’s libraries, better than the excellent third-party component
| libraries for .NET, and superior even to Apple’s Carbon and Cocoa GUI
| frameworks. As to OSS products, such as GTK or wxWidgets, there is no
| comparison whatsoever.
|
| What makes Qt so demonstrably superior are the scope of the library, the
| quality of implementation and its portability. I’ll get into each of these
| attributes shortly. But for the moment, I want to discuss the product’s
| perceived limitations and some recent developments that are of interest.
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/INTEGRATION_WATCH_QT_SUDDENLY_RESURGENT/About_QT/33362

Recent:

Study: Java still top programming language

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10009669-16.html