[News] Sub-notebooks Push GNU/Linux Into the 'Desktop'

Maybe there will be a year of the Linux Desktop after all

,----[ Quote ]
| Where a 2 page article in the NY times is referenced. This security article
| doesn't refer to windows as being the security risk. And the NY times
| reporter responds to the inquiry by saying this is a organized systematic
| espionage article. Which has nothing to do with Linux. No it has nothing to
| do with Linux, that's why it's completely insane. If it were about Linux it
| would be about a systematic failure in espionage.
| that's not all
|
| Then next to that we have windows virus problem number gazillion running
| around the internet.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/year-of-the-linux-desktop-after-all

Linux Gazette: April 2009 (#161)

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Mailbag
|     * Gems from the Mailbag
|     * Talkback
|     * 2-Cent Tips
|     * News Bytes, by Deividson Luiz Okopnik and Howard Dyckoff
|     * Upgrading your Slug, by Silas Brown
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/161/index.html

Recent:

Google CEO hints Google/Linux netbooks may be coming

,----[ Quote ]
| We've gone from pure speculation, to speculation based on facts, and now
| Google's CEO is talking about how much sense this kind of idea makes. I
| hereby predict that we'll see the first netbooks with an official Google
| Linux desktop on them by the second half of this year. It will happen that
| quickly because Google won't want to give Microsoft a chance to regroup with
| Windows 7 from its Vista disaster.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/google_ceo_hints_google_linux_netbooks_may_be_coming

Android attack

,----[ Quote ]
| In what would be its most direct challenge to Microsoft to date, Google is
| said to be planning to offer Android, an operating system it developed for
| smartphones, on a new generation of mini laptop computers. Can Google unseat
| Windows on PCs?
|
| The market for netbooks - small, low-powered and low-cost notebook PCs - has
| mushroomed in the past 24 months. Ever since Taiwan's Asustek introduced the
| Linux-based Eee PC in October 2007, all the big PC makers, from
| Hewlett-Packard to Acer, have introduced their own low-cost laptops. The
| machines typically cost less than R5 000.
`----

http://free.financialmail.co.za/09/0306/technology/atech.htm

Google-Microsoft Next Skirmish: Netbooks?

,----[ Quote ]
| But now, online news sites are talking about the possibility of a Google
| Netbook mini-computer that runs on the Android operating system. Would this
| be a big threat to Microsoft -- or Apple -- or any company using Linux on
| small computers?
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10465856/1/google-microsoft-next-skirmish-netbooks.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN

Android the real Linux desktop threat to Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft got things seriously wrong when it released Vista and the company
| knows it. In the past, the absolute market dominance of Windows on the
| desktop has allowed Redmond to get away with such mistakes. That may no
| longer be the case now that Google has entered the operating system market
| with its Linux-based Android platform.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23524/1023/

Google Android Running On Eee PC 701 Tutorial

,----[ Quote ]
| We all know that the Google Android operating system was specially developed
| to run on cell phones, but that doesn't mean that we cannot tweak it to run
| on netbooks as well.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2009/01/google_android_running_on_eee_pc_701_tutorial.html

Ballmer keeps close watch on Apple and Android

,----[ Quote ]
| And concerns regarding Google's open-source mobile operating system Android
| are not far behind.
|
| "I think the dynamics with Linux is changing somewhat," Ballmer said. "I
| assume we'll see Android-based, Linux-based laptops, in addition to phones,
| and we'll see Google more and more as a competitor in the desktop operating
| system business than we ever have before."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10170883-94.html

Ballmer: Android makes Google a bigger rival to Windows on PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares are down slightly, trading just over $17, following
| Ballmer's remarks.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/Ballmer_Android_makes_Google_a_bigger_rival_to_Windows_on_PCs_40218292.html
http://tinyurl.com/ba9tbm

Microsoft Sees Threat From Android Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| With the grim economic climate weighing on all sectors of its business,
| Microsoft reiterated warnings about slowing revenues and profits for the
| second half of the year, but vowed prudent spending as the company looks
| ahead to new fronts in its war with Google.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3806326

Google boss backs subsidized Linuxbooks

,----[ Quote ]