[News] FAT/Ballmer Episode Not Over Yet, Zemlin Shoots

Analysis: Microsoft-TomTom settlement is end of a battle, not the war

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center, an organization focused on protecting
| open-source and free software, said in a statement that the "settlement
| between Microsoft and TomTom ends one phase of the community's response to
| Microsoft patent aggression and begins another. On the basis of the
| information we have, we have no reason to believe that TomTom's settlement
| agreement with Microsoft violates the license on the kernel, Linux, or any
| other free software used in its products. The settlement neither implies that
| Microsoft patents are valid nor that TomTom's products were or are
| infringing."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9130832

On the TomTom settlement: Microsoft Rolls Back its “Open” Promises

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday, Microsoft announced with a formal press release a settlement of a
| nuisance patent case filed against a smaller company. Despite Microsoft’s
| protestations to the contrary, the press release makes it clear that the
| motivation behind this case was the fear, uncertainty and doubt Microsoft
| hoped the suit would create around the use of Linux. Linux is, not
| coincidentally, one of Microsoft’s strongest threats in the server, embedded
| and desktop computing arenas as evidenced in recent remarks make by its CEO
| Steve Ballmer.
|
| But the settlement of this suit only proves two things. First, the software
| patent system in the US needs reform. The need for reform stems from why
| common functionality like this (which is neither innovative nor novel) was
| granted a patent in the first place.
|
| Second, it proves that, even apart from this larger issue, this case is a
| non-event. The technology at the heart of this settlement is the FAT
| filesystem. As acknowledged by Microsoft in the press release, this file
| system is easily replaced with multiple technology alternatives. The Linux
| Foundation is here to assist interested parties in the technical coordination
| of removing the FAT filesystem from products that make use of it today.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2009/03/31/on-the-tomtom-settlement-microsoft-rolls-back-its-“open”-promises/

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html