Re: Revenue Rises for Linux Points of Sale

On Mar 31, 9:35 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Linux POS Solutions 2009: Volante POS Systems Enhances Revenues Through
> Innovation
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The world of Linux POS technology has come a long way in recent years.
> | Today's restaurant & hospitality operators are much more tech savvy than
> | they've ever been, and the POS industry is slowly responding to this fact.
> `----
>
> http://www.openpr.com/news/73787/Linux-POS-Solutions-2009-Volante-POS...
>
> Linux is huge in devices.
>
> CompactFlash computer gains more flexible mobo
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | C Data Solutions has developed a new motherboard for its customizable
> | CompactFlash (CF)-based Compact Computer (CoCo). Designed for use in an
> | upcoming data acquisitions system, the tiny motherboard offers a databus via
> | the FPGA built into its uClinux- and 500MHz Blackfin-based CoCo processor
> | module.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9259908820.html?kc=rss
>
> Recent:
>
> Twin POS systems for Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | NEC announced two new POS (point-of-sales/service) computers that run Linux.
> | The TwinPOS 5500 and 3500 feature integrated flat panel touchscreens,
> | resistance against dust and liquids, and optional MSRs (magnetic stripe
> | readers) and customer-facing displays, says the company.
> `----

> POS stack targets Linux netbooks
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A vendor of Java-based POS (point-of-sale/service) software for the
> | hospitality industry applications is touting wireless Linux netbooks as POS
> | terminals. Volante says Linux netbooks are "more cost effective, flexible,
> | and allow for greater freedom of choice in software," compared to traditional
> | restaurant order-entry handhelds.
> `----

> Volante POS Systems Annouces Wireless POS Solution For Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There's a lot of interest in Linux POS these days, mostly driven by the
> | attactive cost advantages that Linux offers.  Now, thanks to Volante POS
> | Systems and the advances of wireless technology, Linux & wireless mobile
> | computing can run hand in hand, working together to maximize profits.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20021/545/
>
> Related:
>
> Linux-based POS system ships
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Linux grew 32 percent year-over-year, according to figures released by IHL
> | Group. The research firm reckons Linux accounted for $475 million of the
> | $5.56 billion market, putting it third overall with an 8.5 percent market
> | share. More details can be found here.
> `----

> Novell Ships SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Service for Retailers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> [...]

This is all great, it is a progress, but please do not forget, the
story and problem doesn't end with just POS Software...
I mean great, now you can have POS Software on Linux, but where are
you going to find and how hard is it going to be to find POS Hardware
that works on Linux, that has Linux drivers ?
And I'm not just saying this, it is a 99% fact, take it from me, I
have worked in the POS industry for 20 years and I cannot remember
ever seeing a POS Hardware device that requires drivers in order to
work, to have Linux drivers included by the manufacturer.
And do not take me wrong, I know there is alot of POS hardware that
doesn't need drivers at all (i.e. USB barcode scanners, card readers,
etc...), but let's not forget that there are other POS hardware
peripherals that must have drivers accompany them.

Thank you.
Support,
www.AlexandriaComputers.com