[News] Wikileaks Complains About Governments Treating Journalism Like Terrorism

Western internet censorship: The beginning of the end or the end of the
beginning?

,----[ Quote ]
| Shortly after 9pm on Tuesday March 24, Wikileaks related buildings in Dresden
| and Jena, were raided by 11 plain clothes German police.
|
| Why?
|
| Over the last two years, Wikileaks has exposed detailed secret government
| censorship lists or plans for over eight countries, including Thailand, the
| United Arab Emirates, Australia, and Germany.
|
| Although Wikileaks' main site has been censored by the Chinese Public
| Security Bureau since early 2007, last week saw the site placed onto a secret
| list of sites "forbidden" by the Australian Media and Communications
| Authority, or ACMA.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Western_internet_censorship:_The_beginning_of_the_end_or_the_end_of_the_beginning%3F

Recent:

German police boot down doors of Wikileaks offices

,----[ Quote ]
| Government's tendency to moprh from blocking "child porn" to censoring
| discussion of all government censorship was illustrated this week when German
| Police raided the offices of Wikileaks Germany.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/26/german_police_raid_wikileaks/

Newsflash: German Wikileaks Domain Owner Raided At Home - ACMA Leak Blamed

,----[ Quote ]
| Early reports indicate that the home of the German WikiLeaks Domain owner has
| been raided by police investigating the ACMA list leak.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24034/1054/

Facebook attacks UK gov't monitoring plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Social-networking site Facebook has criticized government suggestions that
| intelligence services should monitor the web communications of all UK
| citizens.
|
| Facebook chief privacy officer and head of global public policy Chris Kelly
| told ZDNet UK on Tuesday that the government proposals, which include
| monitoring social-networking sites, were excessive.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-281560.html

Why Barclays Are Barking

,----[ Quote ]
| Inevitably, a copy has made its way to Wikileaks; inevitably that link is
| being exposed all over the place, which has led to the site being overloaded
| (do make a donation if you can: I've given my widow's mite). Barclays Bank
| can apply for as many injunctions as they like, the judge can - and probably
| will - huff and puff as much as he/she likes, but the game's over: this stuff
| is out.
|
| And quite right too: these documents either show the bank engaged in
| something dodgy, in which case they should be published, or they don't, in
| which case there's no problem in them being public anyway, since the bank is
| asking for serious scads of public dosh, and is effectively being
| part-nationalised.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-barclays-are-barking.html

The State of the Database State

,----[ Quote ]
| A recurrent theme in these posts – and throughout Computerworld UK – has been
| the rise of vast, unnecessary and ultimately doomed databases in the UK.
|
| But those stories have been largely sporadic and anecdotal; what has been
| lacking has been a consolidated, coherent and compelling analysis of what is
| going on in this area – what is wrong, and how we can fix it.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2017

Government databases slammed as illegal

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 46 databases investigated, only six were found to conform to current
| human rights and data protection laws. Nearly twice as many are described
| as: "Almost certainly illegal under human rights or data protection law and
| should be scrapped or substantially redesigned." The remaining 29 databases
| all have significant problems.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/484/1051484/government-databases-slammed-illegal

Australia secretly censors Wikileaks press release and Danish Internet
censorship list, 16 Mar 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The first rule of censorship is that you cannot talk about censorship.
|
| In late 2008, Wikileaks released the secret Internet censorship list for
| Denmark, together with a press release condemning the practice for lack of
| public or judicial oversight. Here's an extract from the press release:
|
|     The list is generated without judicial or public oversight and is kept
|     secret by the ISPs using it. Unaccountability is intrinsic to such a
|     secret censorship system.
|
|     Most sites on the list are still censored (i.e must be on the current
|     list), even though many have clearly changed owners or were possibly even
|     wrongly placed on the list, for example the Dutch transport company
|     Vanbokhorst.
|
|     The list has been leaked because cases such as Thailand and Finland
|     demonstrate that once a secret censorship system is established for
|     pornographic content the same system can rapidly expand to cover other
|     material, including political material, at the worst possible moment --
|     when government needs reform.
|
|     Two days ago Wikileaks released the secret Internet censorship list for
|     Thailand. Of the 1,203 sites censored this year, all have the internally
|     noted reason of "lese majeste" -- criticizing the Royal family. Like
|     Denmark, the Thai censorship system was originally promoted as a
|     mechanism to prevent the flow of child pornography.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Australia_secretly_censors_Wikileaks_press_release_and_Danish_Internet_censorship_list%2C_16_Mar_2009

Wikileaked donor list shames US lawmaker

,----[ Quote ]
| Financial data belonging to more than 4,700 donors of Republican Senate
| candidate Norm Coleman have been leaked to the internet following a breach of
| his campaign website that also made public the contact details of another
| 51,000 supporters.
|
| Two Microsoft Excel files containing the supporter information were recently
| posted on Wikileaks. One file contained the names, addresses, phone numbers,
| employers, email addresses, and partial credit card numbers of 4,721 people
| who had donated to Coleman. He's the incumbent US Senator who is still
| wrangling with comedian and talk-show host Al Franken for one of Minnesota's
| Senate seats.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/12/colman_database_leaked/

How to Save Investigative Journalism

,----[ Quote ]
| At the same time, one of the best sources for investigative journalism,
| Wikileaks, is a bit short of dosh. Problem, meet solution: newspapers should
| fund Wikileaks.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-save-investigative-journalism.html

UK Government Opens Up a Little More...Or Not

,----[ Quote ]
| That, too, is a pretty hopeful sign that someone, somewhere, is beginning to
| get this openness lark. In addition, these pages could become an important
| resource about the governmental use of open source in the UK. Interesting
| times.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1935

Breaking: Wikileaks Missing

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/breaking-wikilinks-missing

Wikileaks Publishes $1B Worth of Congressional Reports

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikileaks.org, the online clearinghouse for leaked documents, has published a
| complete database of Congressional Research Service reports, which are
| private research documents written for members of Congress and their
| staffers.
|
| The 6,780 reports date back to 1990 and comprise all of the digitized reports
| accessible by congressional offices, said Wikileaks, which estimated their
| value at US$1 billion. They do not contain classified material, but they do
| cover politically sensitive topics such as social policy, defense and foreign
| affairs.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159237/wikileaks_publication.html?tk=rss_news

Extreme Openness: the Rise of Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1676&blogid=14

Breaking: Wikileaks Missing

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/breaking-wikilinks-missing

Related:

Wikileaks Shutdown: Censorship Is Censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| If Wikileaks were a print publication, the injunction that has shut down the
| site would be unthinkable. Back in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a
| Minnesota law that allowed the closing of any "malicious, scandalous and
| defamatory" periodical. This court, by contrast, has not only barred future
| publication of the documents at issue but elected to put Wikileaks out of
| business.

Free Speech Advocates Mount Legal Battle to Unchain Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| In Bank Julius Baer & Co., Ltd v. Wikileaks, et al, the plaintiff claims that
| the posting of certain documents to the Wikileaks site violated Swiss and
| Cayman Island bank secrecy laws.
|
| Judge Jeffrey White ordered domain registrar Dynadot to disable Wikileaks.org
| to lift the injunction claim that it violates the First Amendment.

WikiLeaks Under Fire

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/18/043211&from=rss