[News] The Special Startup Affair with GNU/Linux

Startups and the choice of Linux Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s a general notion amongst people who have used Windows say for years that
| switching to Linux isn’t beneficial and easy. But the ones who did so have
| fallen in love with this OS. If you are a start-up or possess an ubiquitous
| desire to save some money, GNU/Linux is the obvious choice for Linux is free,
| licensed under GNU General Public License (GPL). Various packaged versions of
| Linux kernel along with applications result in the so called Linux
| distributions where each distribution is fundamentally different from each
| other in the way they’re packaged, they appeal they have and the size of
| course. Assortment of various software and hardware management tools along
| with different desktop environments add a flavor to the selection. However,
| most Linux distributions run on the same Linux kernel for the core.
|
| [...]
|
| Startups, who would like to work on free and open source technologies should
| consider driving their servers and workstations on Linux.
`----

http://brajeshwar.com/2009/start-ups-and-the-choice-of-linux-distributions/

Recent:

Launching a Linux Startup: No Funny Business

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what's the best way to get entrepreneurs to build businesses around
| Linux? In everything I've ever read about businesses using Linux, the
| profit-generating opportunities have seemed sparse: subscriptions, donations
| or support.
|
| Part of the reason I started an educational resource was because education
| looked like the low-hanging fruit -- everyone needs it, especially if moving
| the baseline is the goal. But to build a fertile environment for
| Linux/FOSS-oriented businesses, one must look beyond the technology itself
| and involve people who are looking for new ways of doing business and
| engaging one another.
|
| [...]
|
| It's particularly apparent during this time of deflation and recession that
| the opportunities for Linux and FOSS infrastructure development are
| plentiful. Converting people to Linux/FOSS is worthwhile and having more
| businesses and organizations using them will benefit users within and beyond
| the open source communities.
|
| It's generally more lucrative to lock people out and charge them for
| admission, but with software technology, we have reached the other side,
| where smaller software projects develop micro-targeted solutions and the
| concept of an average home computer user is replaced by a mosaic of usage
| attributes.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Launching-a-Linux-Startup-No-Funny-Business-66601.html

The Helios Project - Drive To The Future

,----[ Quote ]
| The HeliOS Project is conducting our “Drive For The Future”.  These little
| wonders are being collected so that with every computer we deliver, we will
| include a thumb drive with their system upon it.  We can buy them in bulk or
| you can purchase one and send it to us if you care to participate in this
| drive.  If you don’t particularly want to go out to purchase one, you can
| order one from newegg.com and have it shipped to our address.  If you simply
| want to donate to  our bulk order, you can do on the left column of our main
| page.   Price per unit is $14.95.  If you are donating for one thumb drive,
| please do not include any shipping costs as we get free shipping with our
| orders.
`----

http://www.heliosinitiative.org/blog/?p=90

Penguins on parade

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't always dress in a T-shirt and jeans. Sometimes people give me awards,
| and I dress like a penguin instead. Here's a shout-out for the computer
| history museum.
`----

http://torvalds-family.blogspot.com/2008/10/penguins-on-parade.html

Related:

Heroes of Linux and FOSS: Ken Starks, AKA Helios

,----[ Quote ]