[News] Cisco and H-P Fed up With the Broken Patent Systems

Patent pending

,----[ Quote ]
| Many big tech companies, including Cisco Systems, Hewlett-Packard and others
| represented by the Coalition for Patent Fairness, are pushing hard for patent
| reform, citing the rising costs of IP claims against them. The threats and
| suits often come from companies that exist solely to license sometimes
| questionable patents, the companies say.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212902081

Shiny, Shiny Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s symptomatic of an oversized industry, but also of an inefficient
| one. “There are some who would stick the moniker ‘troll’ on Acacia. They
| don’t invent anything. They just buy patents and enforce them,” says Mark
| Webbink, a visiting professor at New York Law School and Director of the
| Center for Patent Innovations, an organization partnering with the US Patent
| and Trademark Office to tighten up the way patents are issued.
`----

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/index/a/21022

Recent:

Microsoft: Not much to show for 10,000 patents

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe. But innovation is what hasn't actually done Microsoft much good, at
| least as measured in terms of new product lines that generate material
| amounts of revenue for the company. It still gathers the vast majority of its
| revenue from Windows and Office, two product lines that have only
| incrementally improved (or, in the case of Vista, degenerated) over the past
| decade or two.
|
| [...]
|
| Companies and people buy products, not patents. I'm sure that 10,000 patents
| is a nice symbolic achievement for Microsoft, but 10,000 products would be
| better.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10160235-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1001_3-0-5

Patent system 'stifling science'