[News] Wall Street Journals Fights Sharing and Openness

WSJ Editor Claims Google Devalues Everything

,----[ Quote ]
| This is wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to begin. Google
| doesn't devalue things it touches. It increases their value by making them
| easier to find and access. Google increases your audience as a content
| creator, which is the most important asset you have. It takes a special kind
| of cluelessness to claim that something that increases your biggest
| asset "devalues" your business. Thomson's mistake seems to be that he's
| confusing "price" and "value" which is a bit scary for the managing editor of
| a business publication. Yes, the widespread availability of news may push
| down the price (that's just supply and demand), but it doesn't decrease the
| value at all. It opens up more opportunities to capture that value.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090213/0249023757.shtml

The Case Against Cloud Computing, Part Four

,----[ Quote ]
| In the previous parts of this series, I blogged about issues commonly raised
| in objection to cloud computing: difficulty of migrating existing
| applications, managing risk, and meeting SLAs. In this post, I'd like to
| address an issue I've heard raised a number of times: that cloud computing,
| far from saving IT organizations money, actually costs more than providing
| the same services in-house.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/480595/The_Case_Against_Cloud_Computing_Part_Four

Recent:

Open Cloud Conundrum, Open Cloud Consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the hot areas in 2008 was cloud computing, and 2009 looks likely to be
| a year that is equally occupied with the subject. But cloud computing
| represents something of a conundrum for the open source world.
|
| Much of it is built using free software infrastructure - naturally enough,
| since it scales well both in terms of performance and cost. But it's not
| clear from a legal viewpoint whether providing cloud computing services
| constitutes distributing software in the sense of traditional free software
| licences like the GNU GPL.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1706&blogid=14

Consortium tackles cloud computing standards

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/010709-cloud-computing-standards.html