[News] Document Freedom Day Coming Shortly, Government Urged to Embrace Standards

  • Subject: [News] Document Freedom Day Coming Shortly, Government Urged to Embrace Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 01:37:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gearing up for Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Document Freedom Day (DFD) was launched in 2008 as a global day for the
| promotion and awareness of Document Freedom in particular, as well as Open
| Standards and interoperability in general. 205 teams from around the world
| registered for the first edition of Document Freedom Day. The things they did
| ranged from mini-conferences and hands-on lessons for applications supporting
| ODF, such as OpenOffice.org, over creation of awareness by taking to the
| streets and engaging people in discussions about Document Freedom, to
| awarding a special prize to the Foreign Ministry in Germany for its exemplary
| support for Open Standards and Free Software.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=239

First the Standards, Then the Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| In the last issue of my eJournal, Standards Today, titled A Standards Agenda
| for the Obama Administration, I described the standards-based dependencies of
| the technology agenda earlier announced by president-elect Obama. That agenda
| provides for the creative use of technology to advance a number of important
| policy goals, such as achieving transparent government, equal access to the
| Internet, and reducing costs of healthcare. In this issue, I focus more
| closely on the significant role that standards will play in achieving one of
| (now) President Obama's greatest challenges — lowering healthcare costs,
| while at the same time keeping a campaign promise to provide universal health
| coverage.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20090212103506770

Related:

Introducing Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| The Document Freedom Day (DFD) is a global day for Document Liberation with
| grassroots action for promotion of Free Document Formats and Open Standards
| in general. The DFD was initiated and is supported by a group of
| organisations and companies, including, but not limited to the Free Software
| Foundation Europe, ODF Alliance, OpenForum Europe, IBM, Red Hat and Sun
| Microsystems, Inc.
`----

http://documentfreedom.org/News/20080220

[FSFE PR][EN] 26 March 2008: Today is Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Today is Document Freedom Day: Roughly 200 teams from more than 60
| countries worldwide are organising local activities to raise awareness
| for Document Freedom and Open Standards. To support the initiatives
| surrounding the first day to celebrate document liberation, DFD
| starter packs containing a DFD flag, t-shirts and leaflets have been
| sent to the first 100 registered teams over the past weeks.
`----

http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/press-release/2008q1/000205.html
http://documentfreedom.org/News/20080326

Bid Adieu To Format Chaos. Raise A Flag For Document Freedom Day.

,----[ Quote ]
| The inaugural DFD is purported to span some 60 countries around the world,
| including Argentina, France, Germany, India, United States, and Australia. A
| post published this morning on The Official Google Blog claims “more than 200
| teams…are spending (the day) raising awareness about document freedom by
| hosting speakers, events.”
`----

http://mashable.com/2008/03/26/document-freedom-day/

[Google:] Today is Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, the world is celebrating the first-ever Document Freedom Day.
`----

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/today-is-document-freedom-day.html

[Red Hat:] Document Freedom Day

,----[ Quote ]
| In 60 countries around the world, 200 teams have organized activities for
| today, the first Document Freedom Day. It’s a day of grassroots effort (based
| on the model of Software Freedom Day) to promote and build awareness for the
| relevance of free document formats and open standards.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/26/document-freedom-day/

Porn Site technique used to promote OOXML

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49321/porn-site-technique-used-to-promote-ooxmlviral%20youtube