[News] Linux System Rescue Distribution Gets More Advanced File System

Linux System Rescue CD 1.1.5 updates for ext4

,----[ Quote ]
| There comes a time when for whatever reason a system (Linux or Windows) won't
| boot. It was during during one such emergency years ago that I discovered the
| System Rescue LiveLinux CD. System Rescue is a bootable Linux operating
| system that will show you what partitions are on a drive and enable you
| to 'fix' them.
|
| The latest version of System Rescue version 1.1.5 is out today and it
| includes a few notable improvements over its predecessors. The most important
| in my view is support for the ext4 Linux filesystem.  Version 1.1.5 includes
| a new Linux kernel with support for ext4 as well as including a version 0.4.2
| of the GParted partitioning software that includes support for ext4.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/02/linux-system-rescue-cd-115-upd.html

"Mr. Emerson and I discussed a variety of investment structures wherein
Microsoft would 'backstop,' or guarantee in some way, BayStar's investment....
Microsoft assured me that it would in some way guarantee BayStar's investment
in SCO."

                        --Larry Goldfarb, BayStar

Recent:

ext4: The Fourth Extended Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| The ext4 file system is to be the successor to the ext3 journaled file system
| and will be available as an optional file system in the next release of
| Ubuntu, Ubuntu 9.04.
|
| The ext4 file system is now, as of December 25, 2008, released as stable and
| can be used as the dominant file system without fear of data lose…well, to be
| more clear I mean no more fear than any other “stable” file system.
`----

http://kyleabaker.com/2009/02/06/ext4-the-fourth-extended-filesystem/

Initial ext3 vs ext4 Results

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve started to do some internal benchmarking of ext3 vs ext4 at
| myYearbook.com to see if what we’ve seen and heard about ext4 was really
| true.  While the following benchmark is not in-depth, it does represent our
| initial findings, which match our anecdotal findings.  If all of these
| findings hold true, we expect them to have a large impact on our PostgreSQL
| OLTP workload where machines are IO bound.
`----

http://gmrpgsql.tumblr.com/post/73798984/initial-ext3-vs-ext4-results

Ext4 Filesystem Explained in Plain English

,----[ Quote ]
| If you need the advantages of Ext4, your existing Ext3 can be
| easily “upgraded” to Ext4 without the need to format. This means that all
| your data will stay intact once you upgrade (though I would highly recommend
| backing up).
`----

http://hehe2.net/linux-general/ext4-filesystem-explained-in-plain-english/

Ext4 to be standard for Fedora 11, Btrfs also included

,----[ Quote ]
| According to current plans, version 11 of Fedora, which is expected to arrive
| in late May, will use Ext4 as its standard file system. That's what the
| Fedora Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo) recently decided, following a
| heated discussion in an IRC meeting. If however Ext3's successor encounters
| big problems with the pre-release versions of Fedora 11, the developers will
| dump that plan and revert to Ext3.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/news/Ext4-to-be-standard-for-Fedora-11-Btrfs-also-included--/112467

Ubuntu 9.04 Receives EXT4 Support

,----[ Qoute ]
| With the EXT4 file-system having been stabilized with the Linux 2.6.28
| kernel, the Ubuntu developers are preparing to adopt this evolutionary Linux
| file-system update. EXT4 will not replace EXT3 as the default file-system
| until at least Ubuntu 9.10, but as of yesterday, Ubuntu 9.04 now has
| install-time support for EXT4. In this article we are looking at the EXT4
| support within Ubuntu as well as providing a few Linux file-system benchmarks
| from a netbook-embedded solid-state drive. In this article we have published
| Ubuntu benchmarks of EXT4, EXT3, XFS, JFS, and ReiserFS file-systems.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_ext4&num=1

Real World Benchmarks Of The EXT4 File-System

,----[ Quote ]
| In Nexuiz, World of Padman, and Unreal Tournament 2004 to represent gaming on
| the Linux operating system, the results were virtually identical. To the
| Linux gamer, switching to EXT4 or XFS will not really mean much in the way of
| improved frame-rates. If though you deal with compressing files often, of the
| four file-systems tested, the best appears to be EXT4 or XFS. When it came to
| multimedia encoding, we cannot call a decisive winner. In our GnuPG
| encryption test, EXT3 was the fastest followed by XFS. However, in the Bork
| encryption test, EXT4 was the fastest followed by EXT3. EXT3 does still
| appear to have some advantages.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ext4_benchmarks&num=1

Kernel: Ext 4 Filesystem Moves Beyond Developer Status

,----[ Quote ]
| Theodore Ts'o has renamed the Ext4 filesystem, for which he has been
| responsible for source and documentation, from extdev to ext4. Linus Torvalds
| has also incorporated the change into his personal source tree for the
| upcoming Kernel 2.6.28.
|
| After the release of Kernel 2.6.27, a usual two-week merge window occurs when
| Torvalds merges the code for the next version into his personal kernel
| archive.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/kernel_ext_4_filesystem_moves_beyond_developer_status

Ext4 is now the primary filesystem on my laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the weekend, I converted my laptop to use the ext4 filesystem.  So far
| so good!  So far I’ve found one bug as a result of my using ext4 in
| production (if delayed allocation is enabled, i_blocks doesn’t get updated
| until the block allocation takes place, so files can appear to have 0k
| blocksize right after they are created, which is confusing/unfortunate), but
| nothing super serious yet.  I will be doing backups a bit more frequently
| until I’m absolutely sure things are rock solid, though!
`----

http://tytso.livejournal.com/57492.html

ext4 Implementation

,----[ Quote ]
| One major feature present in Fedora 9 will be the ext4 implementation. The
| new filesystem will not be the default for the distro, but will be available
| for users and systems administrators to enable. New functionality includes
| larger capacities and online defragmentation, for better performance and more
| reliability. To find out more, we talked with Eric Sandeen, Fedora project
| member and filesystem developer at Red Hat.
`----

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/EricSandeen

Related:

A better ext4 filesystem for Linux

| A new Linux filesystem gets rid of the 256-petabyte limit, and adds a
| checksum feature for the journal. But developers want you to know that it's
| not yet ready for production sytems.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012908-kernel.html

ext4 2.6.25 Merge Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| "The following patches have been in the -mm tree for a while, and I plan to
| push them to Linus when the 2.6.25 merge window opens," began Theodore Ts'o,
| offering the patches for review before they are merged.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Ext4_2.6.25_Merge_Plans

ZFS, XFS, EXT4 Filesystems Compared

,----[ Quote ]
| EXT4 is fast for metadata operations, tar, untar, cpio, and postmark. EXT4 is
| much faster than the others under FFSB. EXT4 with hardware RAID and external
| journal device is ludicrously fast. EXT4 seems to have a bad interaction with
| software RAID, probably because mkfs fails to query the RAID layout when
| setting the filesystem parameters.
|
| ZFS has excellent performance on metadata tests. ZFS has very bad sequential
| transfer with hardware RAID and appalling sequential transfer with software
| RAID. ZFS can copy the linux kernel source code in only 3 seconds! ZFS has
| equal latency for read and write requests under mixed loads, which is good.
|
| XFS has good sequential transfer under Bonnie++. Oddly XFS has better
| sequential reads when using an external journal, which makes little sense. Is
| noatime broken on XFS? XFS is very slow on all the metadata tests. XFS takes
| the RAID layout into consideration and it performs well on randomio with
| hardware or software RAID.
`----

http://tastic.brillig.org/%7Ejwb/zfs-xfs-ext4.html

First benchmarks of the ext4 file system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.inet.hr/first_benchmarks_of_the_ext4_file_system.html